Keeper disaster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to The Brushback League

Keeper disaster

Moderators: Fade2White12, j24jags

Keeper disaster

Postby Matt_Domsic » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:52 am

This is my last year in this league....nothing has ever been done along the lines of keepers. There's so many ridiculous keepers out there that will just stay that way for eternity apparently.

Santana, Andrus, J Upton, Lawrie, Cargo, Bautista, Kershaw, McCutchen, Cano, Votto, Stanton, Verlander, Strasburg, Jennings

They are all being kept in unreal rounds. Either do a redraft, change keeper system or something. How many years is this la-la land stuff supposed to stay that way?
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper disaster

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 am

It is certainly strange to see a keeper league with no escalation in player values. Usually you only see that in a dynasty style league. It is pretty hard to change the way a league works once it is established though since players make moves based on the current ruleset.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:23 am

We have talked previously about the idea of altering the keeper system so that the penalty escalates in subsequent years. I would have liked to discuss that at some point this offseason, but the turnover plus Matt stepping down as commish presented us with more pressing needs than having this discussion.

If this is something people want changed, we should start that discussion now so that we have a concrete plan in place before next season begins.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby j24jags » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 am

Fade2White12 wrote:We have talked previously about the idea of altering the keeper system so that the penalty escalates in subsequent years. I would have liked to discuss that at some point this offseason, but the turnover plus Matt stepping down as commish presented us with more pressing needs than having this discussion.

If this is something people want changed, we should start that discussion now so that we have a concrete plan in place before next season begins.

I agree with this. We discussed it extensively last season and most of us were in favor of changing the system. I think it must have been glossed over when we switched commissioners which I take a chunk of the blame for. Let's start discussion now though on the best way to change keeper rules and implement them after this season.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm

I've been thinking of what the most amicable solution may be, since it can't be changed too radically after being in place for multiple years. I think the simplest solution would be centered around either a maximum number of years a player can be kept or escalating round penalties.

For instance, we could do something like separating the draft into 3 tiers - 1-10, 11-20, 21-26. The penalty for each tier would be different until the player falls within the tier beneath. Players drafted in rounds 1-10 could increase 1 round per year, those 11-20 would increase 2, and those 21-26 would increase 3. It still rewards those who draft well in the later rounds because even with a sliding scale, they'll be at a value for many years down the line, while also helping to remedy the more obscene current keepers. :-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Matt_Domsic wrote:This is my last year in this league....nothing has ever been done along the lines of keepers. There's so many ridiculous keepers out there that will just stay that way for eternity apparently.

Santana, Andrus, J Upton, Lawrie, Cargo, Bautista, Kershaw, McCutchen, Cano, Votto, Stanton, Verlander, Strasburg, Jennings

They are all being kept in unreal rounds. Either do a redraft, change keeper system or something. How many years is this la-la land stuff supposed to stay that way?

My how times have changed

Matt_Domsic wrote:Albert Pujols - First Round
Carl Crawford - Third Round
Roy Halladay - Fourth Round
Joe Mauer - Fifth Round
Aaron Hill - Sixteenth Round

[still looking to trade Cliff Lee (8th) or Josh Johnson (11th)]

and this

Matt_Domsic wrote:
dave knight wrote:Who could assemble a better set of keepers? Michael Bourn? Carlos Gonzalez? Garrett Jones? By midseason, you'll all be staring at my rear end in the standings.

Ummm I can... Pujols, Crawford, Mauer. :-L

Not that I don't think there are some incredible bargains out there (and I don't have a single one), but anyone that didn't see this coming :-b. In any case I'm good weather we change it or not. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 pm

The first key concept that you hammer out with a keeper league is probably do you want to be able to own a player for his entire career?

Personally I like the idea that I can keep a guy as long as I want so I prefer to answer that question with a yes.

The next question assuming the above is a yes is how do you want to escalate year to year value. I prefer to keep it simple and just escalate 2 or 3 rounds per season.

If the answer is no you can either just cap the years you can keep a player(3 or 4 years) or you escalate year to year value and at some point the player falls off your roster maybe when you get to 2+ 1st round players.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby j24jags » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I'd like to get input from the rest of the league on these issues. Everyone else feel free to chime in ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matt_Domsic » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Matt_Domsic wrote:This is my last year in this league....nothing has ever been done along the lines of keepers. There's so many ridiculous keepers out there that will just stay that way for eternity apparently.

My how times have changed

Matt_Domsic wrote:Albert Pujols - First Round
Carl Crawford - Third Round
Roy Halladay - Fourth Round
Joe Mauer - Fifth Round
Aaron Hill - Sixteenth Round

[still looking to trade Cliff Lee (8th) or Josh Johnson (11th)]

and this

Matt_Domsic wrote:
dave knight wrote:Who could assemble a better set of keepers? Michael Bourn? Carlos Gonzalez? Garrett Jones? By midseason, you'll all be staring at my rear end in the standings.

Ummm I can... Pujols, Crawford, Mauer. :-L

Not that I don't think there are some incredible bargains out there (and I don't have a single one), but anyone that didn't see this coming :-b. In any case I'm good weather we change it or not. ;-D

ayebatter wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:Can we get the current round stickied at the top of the page? 13 is still sitckied and we are in round 15. It's just easier to keep track of what is going on.

Seems to me like there is PLENTY of time in between picks to track it . ;-7

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:I don't really care that it takes a while...my biggest issue is that for the last three years, it's the same guy who holds up the draft every year.

Quoted for irony. ;-7

ok

Look I can quote things too - and they all point to you being a passive aggressive dick
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

In all fairness, that last quote incriminates me.

But there's no need to get nasty here. You'd think this was a money league or something. :-b
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to The Brushback League