1st H2H points league...Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

1st H2H points league...Help!

1st H2H points league...Help!

Postby StealingHome » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm

This season, I'll be playing in my first Yahoo H2H points league. How does the scoring below work? If my team wins the HR category, do I receive a total of 5 points, or do I receive 5 points for each HR? (I'm used to playing H2H 5x5 and roto.) Thanks!

Runs (R): 2
Hits (H): 0.5
Home Runs (HR): 4
Runs Batted In (RBI): 2
Stolen Bases (SB): 2

Wins (W): 5
Saves (S): 5
Earned Runs (ER): -0.5
Innings Pitched (IP): 2
Stikeouts (K):2
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st H2H points league...Help!

Postby oleredb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

How does the scoring below work? If my team wins the HR category, do I receive a total of 5 points, or do I receive 5 points for each HR?

Players accumulate points for each counting stat. If a player hits a HR he will score 2 points for a Run plus 0.5 points for a Hit plus 4 points for the HR plus 2 points for each RBI, so he will score a minimum of 8.5 points for a solo HR and a maximum of 14.5 for a Grand Slam.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby StealingHome » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 am

oleredb wrote:Players accumulate points for each counting stat. If a player hits a HR he will score 2 points for a Run plus 0.5 points for a Hit plus 4 points for the HR plus 2 points for each RBI, so he will score a minimum of 8.5 points for a solo HR and a maximum of 14.5 for a Grand Slam.

Got it. Why is ER shown as a negative number?

So, what I don't like is the Wins category. I may ask if the commissioner will consider quality starts (QS) instead. Any other suggestions? Does the points distribution look OK?
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikekim2121 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:11 am

ER is negative because unlike most of the stats, its something you want less of. Categories like losses for pitchers, and outs, caught stealing, and strikeouts for hitters are negative if they are included.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StealingHome » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 am

mikekim2121 wrote:ER is negative because unlike most of the stats, its something you want less of. Categories like losses for pitchers, and outs, caught stealing, and strikeouts for hitters are negative if they are included.

Wanting a low ERA makes sense. I guess that I don't quite understand how you accumulate points in that category. Are the number of points based on how close you are to an ERA of 0.00? Sorry if this is an ignorant question; I can't find the answer elsewhere on the internet.

Does anyone have an opinion on Wins versus Quality Starts in this format?
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dark2025 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Well it works like this. Say a pitcher wins the game with 6IP, 3ER, 7H, 1BB, and 5K. His points would be calculated like this:

6IP * 2
3ER * -.5
5K * 2
1W * 5
= 12 - 1.5 + 10 + 5
= 25.5 points

Basically instead of having to keep track of 5 categories, the point system condenses them into one number. The points that your players get for you are all added up and at the end of the week whoever has the most amount of points wins the matchup.

To be honest, that's a weird looking league. Based on the rules I'd say you want strikeout pitchers (a larger ERA won't matter as much with a penalty of only -.5 for each ER). Saves are also super-valuable in your league, so you should get a ton of points for simply having a squadron of closers, again with an emphasis on strikeouts.

As for batters, go ALL power-hitters. HRs are worth a ridiculous amount of points in your league. For a solo homer you get 4 + 2 + .5 + 2 = 8.5 points, and 14.5 points for grand slams, since when you hit a HR, it doesn't only increase 4 points, but a HR also count as a hit, it also gets at least one RBI, and your batter also scores a run. That all adds up.
dark2025
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby StealingHome » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm

dark2025 wrote:Well it works like this. Say a pitcher wins the game with 6IP, 3ER, 7H, 1BB, and 5K. His points would be calculated like this:

6IP * 2
3ER * -.5
5K * 2
1W * 5
= 12 - 1.5 + 10 + 5
= 25.5 points

Basically instead of having to keep track of 5 categories, the point system condenses them into one number. The points that your players get for you are all added up and at the end of the week whoever has the most amount of points wins the matchup.

To be honest, that's a weird looking league. Based on the rules I'd say you want strikeout pitchers (a larger ERA won't matter as much with a penalty of only -.5 for each ER). Saves are also super-valuable in your league, so you should get a ton of points for simply having a squadron of closers, again with an emphasis on strikeouts.

As for batters, go ALL power-hitters. HRs are worth a ridiculous amount of points in your league. For a solo homer you get 4 + 2 + .5 + 2 = 8.5 points, and 14.5 points for grand slams, since when you hit a HR, it doesn't only increase 4 points, but a HR also count as a hit, it also gets at least one RBI, and your batter also scores a run. That all adds up.

The ERA calculation makes so much sense now. Thanks! And thanks for the draft advice.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the categories. But I've never played in a H2H points league. I'm not sure that I like that there is such an emphasis on Wins and Saves. I may ask the commissioner are using Quality Starts instead.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dark2025 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 pm

StealingHome wrote:The ERA calculation makes so much sense now. Thanks! And thanks for the draft advice.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the categories. But I've never played in a H2H points league. I'm not sure that I like that there is such an emphasis on Wins and Saves. I may ask the commissioner are using Quality Starts instead.

I'm really a fan of the QS stat over Wins, especially in a points league since an emphasis on Ws means you're awarding tons of points for something that's heavily dependent on external variables. I mean, getting a W might not even mean you did your job right - e.g., getting a W after a blown save (another reason why closers are more valuable in your league as it is now - they can get wins too!)

I think the ER score is also kind of low - right now all you need is one strikeout to make up for FOUR earned runs scored. I'm also not sure why your scoring doesn't take the WHIP into consideration by subtracting hits/walks.
dark2025
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby peterr77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:43 pm

ER is negative because unlike most of the stats, its something you want less of. Categories like losses for pitchers, and outs, caught stealing, and strikeouts for hitters are negative if they are included
peterr77
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby oscar15 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Wanted to make sure this point was not missed. You are not competing in categories, it is total points only
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 21)

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum