Positional and player priority - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Positional and player priority

Positional and player priority

Postby DamianoD » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello,

I am looking at the "2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings: Spring Update" (great compliation BTW) and it is serving me well to understand who, in which position I should draft but my question relates to the correlation of player/position and which has higher priority. I'll give an example; say for instance I am drafting 3rd in my league in the 1st round. Cabrera and Pujols are taken. I obviously still need a 1st basemen. Should I, for instance go for Joey Votto or should I draft the best projected player of a different position like Robinson Cano for 2nd Base? Is there a list of hitters maybe I should use and then make a judgement call? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
DamianoD
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Positional and player priority

Postby oleredb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 pm

In the early rounds of a draft it is best to forget about positions and draft the best player available for your league settings. Draft by forecast production and not by name recognition. Reaching for a player early has a higher cost than reaching for a player later in the draft. Reaching for a player in a deep position like 1B has a higher cost than reaching for a player in a shallow position like SS.

The best way to know which positions to target after you have drafted a solid foundation for your team is to participate in four or five mock drafts on the web site that hosts your league to see which positions run out of good players first. Those positions will have higher priority in your mid round picks.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum