Ubaldo, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Walden, OR Moustakas? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Ubaldo, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Walden, OR Moustakas?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ubaldo, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Walden, OR Moustakas?

Postby Rotowahoo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Who should be my final keeper? I need convincing. Please tell me why if you can spare the time. Thanks! By the way, I'm aware that I have three Nationals starters. I'm rollin' with it. !+)

Potential keepers: Ubaldo Jimenez ($5), Max Scherzer ($5), Paul Goldschmidt ($5), Jordan Walden ($5), Mike Moustakas ($5)

I'm not big on keeping closers. I did not keep one last year and did not even draft one, yet I ended up with Storen and Valverde via waivers and trade and won the league. However, I know that Walden has some value.

Roto, 10 owners, 15-offensive, 10-pitchers, $280 max, 5-10 keepers

C - C.Santana, $5 (+$10 for long-term contract)
C -
1B - E.Hosmer, $5
3B
CI
2B
SS - S.Castro, $10
MI -
OF - M.Stanton, $5 (+$10 for long-term contract)
OF - J.Heyward, $5
OF - D.Jennings, $5
OF
OF
UT
UT
P - S.Strasburg, $8
P - G.Gonzalez, $10
P - J.Zimmermann, $11
P -
P
P
P
P
P
P
FARM - B.Harper (WAS)
FARM - J.Montero (SEA)
FARM - J.Profar (TEX)
Rotowahoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ubaldo, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Walden, OR Moustakas?

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Walden for me. I think he is a prime candidate to be a top 10 closer next year but even taking that out of it, the other guys all have major question marks surrounding them. Goldshmidt has a lot of work to do still and has some holes in his swing that could be exploited. Jimenez is just not that good anymore. Moustakas had a nice September but still has some growing to do and will likely be a bumpy ride. Scherzer is the next best option but I just like Walden more.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

MaudDib wrote:Walden for me. I think he is a prime candidate to be a top 10 closer next year but even taking that out of it, the other guys all have major question marks surrounding them. Goldshmidt has a lot of work to do still and has some holes in his swing that could be exploited. Jimenez is just not that good anymore. Moustakas had a nice September but still has some growing to do and will likely be a bumpy ride. Scherzer is the next best option but I just like Walden more.

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Element » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:03 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Walden for me. I think he is a prime candidate to be a top 10 closer next year but even taking that out of it, the other guys all have major question marks surrounding them. Goldshmidt has a lot of work to do still and has some holes in his swing that could be exploited. Jimenez is just not that good anymore. Moustakas had a nice September but still has some growing to do and will likely be a bumpy ride. Scherzer is the next best option but I just like Walden more.

;-D

;-D Moustakas gets some consideration, but you could probably re-draft him at about the same cost.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby bayside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:01 pm

I like ubaldo.
Best bet to deliver maximum profit. How many other 200ip/200K SP can you find for $5?
He was battling various injury all season last yr, changed teams, and never settled in.
I like him for bounce back and for $5 you cant complain if his era is around 4 or his whip up near 1.3

But youll be doing backflips if he gets back to the sub 3.5 era, a whip near 1.2, to go along with the expected 180-200 K's + 12-15 Wins.

I mean whats the most you can really hope for out of a guy who throws 60 innings playing for a manager who is notoriously fickle?
Last edited by bayside on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

MaudDib wrote:Jimenez is just not that good anymore.

See, this is exactly what i dont understand... tell me why hes no longer any good?
And hopefully you dont base it on one injury riddles season's worth of results.
Why would he not be a worthy #4/#5 SP?
because thats exactly how hes currently priced with that $5 tag

i just feel like the most important thing to consider is that Ubaldo will very likely cost more at draft than Walden
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MaudDib » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am

bayside wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Jimenez is just not that good anymore.

See, this is exactly what i dont understand... tell me why hes no longer any good?
And hopefully you dont base it on one injury riddles season's worth of results.
Why would he not be a worthy #4/#5 SP?
because thats exactly how hes currently priced with that $5 tag

i just feel like the most important thing to consider is that Ubaldo will very likely cost more at draft than Walden

He might be worth a #4 or #5 but I wouldn't pay full price for it. He also played a full season last year so if it was injury ridden, then it was well hidden. He has had one very good year (really one amazing first half and one ok 2nd half) and 2 avg to slightly above avg years and one bad year. So again maybe he is worth a spot as a #4/5 but you can find that in a lot of pitchers so why keep him. There will be plenty of $1 pitchers that will give you similar or fairly similar numbers. If you want him, then take him but last year was worrisome. His fastball was down and I haven't heard anything about whether it is back up in spring training.

I think Walden is worth more than $5 at draft and Ubaldo can be had for close to same value or you can get a guy with similar numbers at similar value.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Jimenez velocity is down. Cleveland is very concerned.
He's last on the list for me.
After Walden, Goldschmidt is interesting.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions