I think I have a winner here... WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I think I have a winner here... WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

Just finished the draft for my keeper league, and I'm feeling great. I stockpiled draft picks for this year at the trade deadline last year, so I had many picks early on. My 4 keepers were Miguel Cabrera (1st round), Ryan Braun (2nd round), Justin Verlander (4th round), and Giancarlo Stanton (9th round).

4 player keeper league, daily transactions
12 team, h2h. YAHOO league.
hits, runs, hr, rbi, avg, stls
wins, k's, era, whip, k/9, saves

c. Jesus Montero
1b. Miguel Cabrera
2b. Michael Young
3b. Aramis Ramirez
ss. Hanley Ramirez
of. Ryan Braun
of. Giancarlo Stanton
of. Brett Gardner
u. Justin Morneau
b. Ryan Howard

sp. Justin Verlander
sp. Jon Lester
sp. Yovanni Gallardo
sp. Yu Darvish
sp. Mat Latos
sp. Madison Bumgarner
sp. Brandon Beachy
sp. Max Scherzer
sp. Jeremy Hellickson

rp. Rafael Betancourt

I realize I have two holes here - utility and relief pitching... But I love my hitting all around and I think I have great SP depth, especially for a 12 team league. I will try to fill in the holes at utility and RP perhaps through trading one of my 2nd tier starters such as Latos or Bumgarner. I generally don't worry about closers early on though, because it's such an unstable position and you can almost always find some good closers on the cheap in free agency throughout the year. I also love the potential at my utility spot for when Howard comes back, and I drafted Morneau in the last round, so it's a no risk situation.

What do you guys think? Thoughts on the roster? Any suggestions for trades? WHIR.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I think I have a winner here... WHIR

Postby exm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks for helping mine and great roster. IMO Morneau is pretty much useless (until he proves otherwise), so why don't you trade one of your pitchers like Jon Lester for a decent Util player? You can pick up maybe someone like Nelson Cruz? I know he's injury prone when you get R Howard back at some point and think about having both of them available for you...
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 84)

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

[quote="exm"]Thanks for helping mine and great roster. IMO Morneau is pretty much useless (until he proves otherwise), so why don't you trade one of your pitchers like Jon Lester for a decent Util player? You can pick up maybe someone like Nelson Cruz? I know he's injury prone when you get R Howard back at some point and think about having both of them available for you...[/quote]

Thanks, yeah, I'll definitely be on the lookout for trading some of my SP depth for either a utility upgrade or RP upgrade. I'm really not expecting anything out of Morneau, but as a last round pick, I can cut him loose if his injury concerns mount or if he doesn't perform, no big loss there. If he does perform, he'll be a nice stop gag for when Howard comes back.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KrazyA428 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm really surprised that this is a 12 team league. Looks like you have a team with great depth and stockpiled with talent. I don't see any glaring issues. Seems like the only thing that could derail this team from a title run is unlucky injuries. I really like Bumgarner this year, too.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm

[quote="KrazyA428"]I'm really surprised that this is a 12 team league. Looks like you have a team with great depth and stockpiled with talent. I don't see any glaring issues. Seems like the only thing that could derail this team from a title run is unlucky injuries.[/quote]

Yeah, thanks, it looks like a 6 team league doesn't it? Haha. Last year at the trade deadline I dealt away players such as Fielder, Haren, Weaver, Ackley, and Kimbrel and just stockpiled early draft picks. I was essentially done drafting by the 10th round, having multiple picks in all of the early rounds, so a lot of good players came to me for each position.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Fantastic team. I really see Morneau as a flier, but you are more than capable of housing him in the meantime just to see.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby letter18 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 pm

sixer03fan wrote:Just finished the draft for my keeper league, and I'm feeling great. I stockpiled draft picks for this year at the trade deadline last year, so I had many picks early on. My 4 keepers were Miguel Cabrera (1st round), Ryan Braun (2nd round), Justin Verlander (4th round), and Giancarlo Stanton (9th round).

4 player keeper league, daily transactions
12 team, h2h. YAHOO league.
hits, runs, hr, rbi, avg, stls
wins, k's, era, whip, k/9, saves

c. Jesus Montero
1b. Miguel Cabrera
2b. Michael Young
3b. Aramis Ramirez
ss. Hanley Ramirez
of. Ryan Braun
of. Giancarlo Stanton
of. Brett Gardner
u. Justin Morneau
b. Ryan Howard

sp. Justin Verlander
sp. Jon Lester
sp. Yovanni Gallardo
sp. Yu Darvish
sp. Mat Latos
sp. Madison Bumgarner
sp. Brandon Beachy
sp. Max Scherzer
sp. Jeremy Hellickson

rp. Rafael Betancourt

I realize I have two holes here - utility and relief pitching... But I love my hitting all around and I think I have great SP depth, especially for a 12 team league. I will try to fill in the holes at utility and RP perhaps through trading one of my 2nd tier starters such as Latos or Bumgarner. I generally don't worry about closers early on though, because it's such an unstable position and you can almost always find some good closers on the cheap in free agency throughout the year. I also love the potential at my utility spot for when Howard comes back, and I drafted Morneau in the last round, so it's a no risk situation.

What do you guys think? Thoughts on the roster? Any suggestions for trades? WHIR.

Very nice team, even if Morneau doesn't do much the rest of your offense should pick up the slack. I might have went for someone a bit more reliable considering you only have one bench spot.

There's really nothing to not like about your pitching. I like bumgardner and beachey a ton this year, and even though I dont love darvish.. hes still a big upside guy.

Check out mine? viewtopic.php?t=441551
Check out my blog- http://agressivebaserunning.wordpress.com last update: 4/23
letter18
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Very solid team. You should do well this season.

That said, your RP situation is abysmal. You definitely need to swing a guy like Latos or Hellickson for a nice, stable, RP or two. Maybe deal Scherzer to a team lacking in K-strong SPs for a guy like Betancourt or Farnsworth. I don't like Morneau or Howard this year, I'd probably have leaned towards a more 5x5 guy for my Util given that your power potential on the squad is very high.

Overall, I'd say if you can get 2 more closers for Scherzer and Latos/Hellickson, then you would have a near-perfect squad heading into the season.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=441634
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby medium_robin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Lots lots lots of building blocks with this team. Very top-heavy on offense though. I think stockpiling SP's will cause you problems with your offensive categories. If one of your guys gets hurt, you'll be hurting and you'll have to overpay in a trade when other managers know you're desperate.

The other problem with having so many SP's is that it'll really hurt your saves. I agree you can find a closer, though depending on how active your league is, having more teams makes that more difficult. One other area SP's will hurt you is K/9. Most SP's are in the 6-8 range. But a top MR like Sergio Romo or Kenley Jansen are more like 14-16 K/9. Sure they pitch less but a guy or two like that could really bump up your stats.

By the way, please don't trade Baumgarner. You have lots of other pitchers to part with. He's going to be special this year (and into the future).

Thoughts on my team? viewtopic.php?t=441571#p3488375
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

If Hanley returns to his former self, you're going to run away with this league. I don't know if I would keep Howard on my bench though. I'm hearing mixed things about his injury recovery, some say he might not return until the All-Star break. He's a real gamble to hold on to. I'd rather take my odds on dropping him for someone off the wire that will actually play all year, maybe a speedster since you have all the power categories pretty much on lock. Or, since you need another closer, drop him for Greg Holland in the meantime. I think he'll eventually get KC's closer job and run with it.

How do you think I did in my 12 teamer?
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team