Who should I pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who should I pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who should I pick?

Postby ichirosan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:35 am

Last pick of my minors draft, so it's slim pickings at this point. We get to keep the player for free as long as he has rookie elegibility; once he loses it, he takes a roster spot in the major team. The player pool is basically anyone not in Yahoo's DB.

The best players I've been able to identify are:

Cheslor Cuthbert (don't really like the fact that he would be blocked forever by Evan Longoria, so if he pans I would HAVE to trade him)
Eddie Rosario
Bryce Brentz
Tyrell Jenkins
Byron Buxton (leaning towards him, but something about picking a HS player makes me itchy)
Deven Marrero

Thoughts?
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who should I pick?

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 pm

ichirosan wrote:Last pick of my minors draft, so it's slim pickings at this point. We get to keep the player for free as long as he has rookie elegibility; once he loses it, he takes a roster spot in the major team. The player pool is basically anyone not in Yahoo's DB.

The best players I've been able to identify are:

Cheslor Cuthbert (don't really like the fact that he would be blocked forever by Evan Longoria, so if he pans I would HAVE to trade him)
Eddie Rosario
Bryce Brentz
Tyrell Jenkins
Byron Buxton (leaning towards him, but something about picking a HS player makes me itchy)
Deven Marrero

Thoughts?

I'd probably go Rosario or Jenkins with the slight edge to Rosario. Rosario's move to 2B means his value could explode.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Re: Who should I pick?

Postby cardinal1975 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I always believe in taking the top talent available. To me that is possibly Cuthbert but he Jenkins and Rosario are all very close in value/talent. Havok is right in predicting Rosario's value could go up IF he can handle 2B going forward which is far from a guarantee since he has only played in spring training and instructs to date. Jenkins has the ability to be a top 20 SP down the road while Cuthbert looks to be a good hitter at 3B with good power.

I would not even let Evan Longoria on your roster factor into whether to add a minor leaguer as who knows what your roster might be or look like. I am certain many people felt Grady Sizemore would still be a top player now 3 years ago or ask a Brandon Webb owner what he is worth now.

I see all three close in value and superior to the other guys on your list.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball