WHIR: 6th overall and 10th overall pick in 5th round - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

WHIR: 6th overall and 10th overall pick in 5th round

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WHIR: 6th overall and 10th overall pick in 5th round

Postby CGHitman14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 am

MaudDib wrote:He is right about Bruce in a points league. He strikes out too much to be worth taking over a pitcher. I traded him away in most of my points leagues because I am not sure he will ever be worth starting.

If starters are what you want, then make the move up and grab Haren or Gallardo.

Finally, someone spot on.

To an earlier post, we get to keep one extra guy where he was drafted the prior year. I got Wainwright in the 21st round and kept him all year.

It's about the arms. I already have Pujols, Hanley and Upton. Lincecum and Wainwright will be my 1a and 1b and then I'll have a solid 3-4 with something like Haren/Gallardo. If for some reason Holliday isn't taken with the #1 overall pick, I may just scoop him up and go pitcher at #6. There are just no standout bats that are left. They've all been kept.
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 am

MaudDib wrote:He is right about Bruce in a points league. He strikes out too much to be worth taking over a pitcher. I traded him away in most of my points leagues because I am not sure he will ever be worth starting.

If starters are what you want, then make the move up and grab Haren or Gallardo.

If you don't list your scoring categories and what they're worth, everyone is going to assume standard values, and in a standard league, Bruce would be a great 5th round pick. He has an MDP right around 40. If strikeouts are negatively weighted in your league, that's kind of important information that should go in the original post. It's also pretty clear the OP was fishing for a specific answer, so in that case why bring up the question?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 54)

Postby CGHitman14 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:

If you don't list your scoring categories and what they're worth, everyone is going to assume standard values, and in a standard league, Bruce would be a great 5th round pick. He has an MDP right around 40. If strikeouts are negatively weighted in your league, that's kind of important information that should go in the original post. It's also pretty clear the OP was fishing for a specific answer, so in that case why bring up the question?

You're jumping to many conclusions. I'm not fishing for an answer. I'm open minded and would liek to hear valid arguments on who people would take at this spot. I personally at this poitn can't justify any bats in either of these picks unless Matt Holiday is available at the #2 pick.

No, K's are not penalized. It's a H2H league with only positive scoring and a few fun bonuses like 10 points for the cycle, 10 points for a no-no, etc.

1 1B
2 2B
3 3B
4 HR
1 RBI
1 R
2 SB

That's all.

Bruce's ADP on CBS is 73.14 which is pick 3 in rd 8. He's not worth a 5th round pick. He has upside, but a killer in H2H point leagues because of the lack of consistency which is caused because of strikeouts.
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Beeblebrox » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 pm

CGHitman14 wrote:
lane_anasazi2 wrote:

You're jumping to many conclusions. I'm not fishing for an answer. I'm open minded and would liek to hear valid arguments on who people would take at this spot. I personally at this poitn can't justify any bats in either of these picks unless Matt Holiday is available at the #2 pick.

No, K's are not penalized. It's a H2H league with only positive scoring and a few fun bonuses like 10 points for the cycle, 10 points for a no-no, etc.

1 1B
2 2B
3 3B
4 HR
1 RBI
1 R
2 SB

That's all.

Bruce's ADP on CBS is 73.14 which is pick 3 in rd 8. He's not worth a 5th round pick. He has upside, but a killer in H2H point leagues because of the lack of consistency which is caused because of strikeouts.

He's streaky, but that's not the same thing you are talking about here. If K's aren't penalized in the scoring, then why are you counting them against him anyway? Besides, just as he can hurt you in some weeks when he's cold, he can singlehandedly win other weeks for you when he's hot. He's far from a "killer".

Looking at that scoring, I'm not sure there's much difference between Bruce and Holliday, if any. If you want to argue pitchers are simply worth more in general because of their categories, that's a different conversation.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby CGHitman14 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:17 pm

In H2H leagues, guys with a lower standard deviation for the weekly output or more valuable, plain and simple. It's much better to have a bunch of guys that can score 20 points in a week then guys that go 10 then 30.

While it may average out, you begin toying with the element of trying to play streaks which can get tricky.

IMO, it's better to know what you're getting from guys rather than hoping this week will be a good week.
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions