Keeping Miguel Cabrera - 3B Eligibility WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeping Miguel Cabrera - 3B Eligibility WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeping Miguel Cabrera - 3B Eligibility WHIR

Postby slomojo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm in a keeper league and one of my keepers will be Miguel Cabrera.

It's no mystery that Cabrera will be a 3B this season. But how do I draft accordingly?

My league has a UTIL spot. Do I draft a legit 3B on draft day and play Cabrera at UTIL all year?

Or do I punt 3B on draft day, take the best available hitter for UTIL, and wait for Cabrera to get 3B status?

How long does it take for him to get 3B eligibility? I guess it depends on my Yahoo league ...

WHIR!
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeping Miguel Cabrera - 3B Eligibility WHIR

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Could you draft a 1B, stick him in Util, and then punt 3B by getting a 3B scrub in the last round? That might work in this scenario.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:08 pm

It totally depends on how long it will take Cabrera to get that eligibility. If it is something like 5 games, then I think you would be ok drafting Cabrera as a util and punting 3B. Anything more than that and I would draft Cabrera as a 1B and draft like Cabrera won't get that eligibility. So if/when it happens you can than trade from depth if you want but your team won't be hurt if it doesn't happen.

I think a lot of people are relying on this to happen when it is still spring training. There is a good chance that Detroit puts Cabrera in a rotation at 3B which means he might get 1-2 starts per week at 3B, 1-2 at 1B and 1-2 at DH. If that happens and your league requires 10-15 games at a position to be eligible, then it could be June before he could fill that role for you. At that point, you could already be out of the championship.

I think this is something to look forward to next year if/when he has dual eligibility but at this point I wouldn't draft expecting it to happen quickly.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Element » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:27 pm

I did this last season with Youkilis. He only had 1B eligibility until 5 games played (standard Yahoo). I drafted Chipper Jones toward the end and more or less dropped him after a week.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Postby silverZ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Punt 3B unless a 3B happens to be the best available player. If you end up with an extra 3B just trade him once MCab gets 3B.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby slomojo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Cool. Yeah, my league only has a 5 game minimum before Miggy gets 3B eligibility. The only way I draft a 3B is if he's the best player available.
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions