Yankees sign Andy Pettitte - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees sign Andy Pettitte

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees sign Andy Pettitte

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Yes this is a thread from 2012.

Yankees signed LHP Andy Pettitte to a minor league contract.
It's stunning news for a guy that didn't pitch at all in 2011 and said in the middle of last season that he was "absolutely loving being home." But, Jack Curry of the YES Network reports that Pettitte admitted three weeks ago that he was considering a comeback and has now decided to follow through with it. He'll earn $2.5 million and will work his way up through the minors initially before eventually likely bumping either Phil Hughes or Freddy Garcia from the rotation. We would guess that Hughes will probably be shifted to the bullpen since he has experience there, but the Yanks haven't revealed their concrete plans.

Whoa. Likely no fantasy implications here but pretty crazy news on a March 16.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yankees sign Andy Pettitte

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:56 pm

There's definitely fantasy implications here, at least for AL only leagues. Knocks down Hughes' value and adds Pettitte to the mix. For leagues that have already drafted it'll be a race to add him.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Skin Blues wrote:There's definitely fantasy implications here, at least for AL only leagues. Knocks down Hughes' value and adds Pettitte to the mix. For leagues that have already drafted it'll be a race to add him.

You're right, didn't think about it affecting Hughes. I don't know how soon he's going to be back in the majors though (if at all) so I don't know how big of an impact he'll make himself. If he gets there he can definitely be useful as he was still pretty solid in 2010 when he was healthy.

Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Garcia, Pettitte

Better than not having enough pitching.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm

If Bartolo Colon can be effective for half a year I don't see how Pettitte won't win the CY.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Ender wrote:If Bartolo Colon can be effective for half a year I don't see how Pettitte won't win the CY.

As hard as I try, I can't find a hole in this logic...
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:27 pm

I kinda feel bad for Hughes. Between last year's health issues and the Yankees severely mismanaging his development (ala Joba), he's never been given much of an opportunity. I can't blame him for struggling amidst all the demotions and shifts from the rotation to the bullpen and back. Now he has to deal not only with battling terrible Freddy Garcia for a rotation spot, but he's now looking over his shoulder for competition from an almost-40 year old retiree.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Montana168 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

I like it. Yankees are sort of underrated in the AL this year. Most people are talking about the Angels, Rangers, and Tigers. This could be the year the Yanks sneak up (if thats possible) and win it all. They have the most pitching depth that they've had in awhile. CC, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Pettite. Then a bullpen that would consist of Mo, Robertson, Soriano, Joba, Hughes, Garcia. Then they have Benuelos and Betances in the high minors. 8-o

Throw in the fact that they have Betances, Benuelos, Gary Sanchez, Campos, and Romine that would be more than enough to get whatever the best ace available at the trade deadline is, ala Felix or Wainwright or whoever.

Maybe Posada will come out of retirement to be a bench bat/DH so the core 4 can get another ring. :-D
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:16 pm

That is still a pitching staff that I don't expect to be that good. Nova's skills don't impress me, Kuroda's skills don't fit the AL east, I wouldn't put any faith in Hughes or Pettite and to be honest I'm not even as high on Pineda as most seem to be.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Ender wrote:That is still a pitching staff that I don't expect to be that good. Nova's skills don't impress me, Kuroda's skills don't fit the AL east, I wouldn't put any faith in Hughes or Pettite and to be honest I'm not even as high on Pineda as most seem to be.

It has to be better than last year, no? And they won 97 games with that staff.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Montana168 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Ender wrote:That is still a pitching staff that I don't expect to be that good. Nova's skills don't impress me, Kuroda's skills don't fit the AL east, I wouldn't put any faith in Hughes or Pettite and to be honest I'm not even as high on Pineda as most seem to be.

It has to be better than last year, no? And they won 97 games with that staff.

Thanks Bronx, thats exactly what I meant in my post. I am in no way saying the Yankees rotation is anywhere near as good as a staff like Atlanta, San Fran, or Philly. But as Bronx said, this team won 97 games last year mainly because of our offense. Our offense is the same this year, but now our SP is very much improved from last year and we are very deep with quality arms in the rotation and the bullpen. If we can go into the playoffs with CC, Wainwright/Felix/other, Pineda, Pettite/Kuroda, I definitely think that will be able to compete with any other team in the AL.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers