Let's talk Jesus Montero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk Jesus Montero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk Jesus Montero

Postby Bosy Billups » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 am

Not trying to pull "that card", but feel he's not being hyped enough due to various factors, but could be the "why didn't I see that coming" guy and put up elite stats as soon as this year.

Curious if anyone is paying attention or has any thoughts on this potential stud?

PS - he went in the 6th round of the NFBC league, right before Jered Weaver. That was shocking to me.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's talk Jesus Montero

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 am

Bosy Billups wrote:

PS - he went in the 6th round of the NFBC league, right before Jered Weaver. That was shocking to me.

Now that's just wishful thinking 8-o

ps: nobody said you had to be smart to play ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby jcook3127 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 am

I'm very confident he'll be a top 5 catcher this season to be honest. He'll bat in the middle of the lineup..they still have Olivo to catch some games and since their bats are awful he'll get some time at DH keeping his legs fresh but more importantly ensuring that he'll get more plate appearances than most catchers.

The biggest thing that erks me right now is he doesn't have C eligibility in yahoo and I play yahoo...I'm 99.999999999% sure he'll start 5 games and get it...the problem is I don't even wanna see another catcher on my roster for a couple weeks while I wait for it..

Safe 5x5 Projection: 70/20/85/1/.285

Maybe that doesn't put him as a top 5 catcher but...that's not where I'd put his ceiling this year and I'm very high on him..wouldn't be shocked if he hit .310 with better R/RBI numbers...

Basically I think he'll rival the 'elite' catchers and he goes 100 picks later...it's a no brainer to me to target this guy...Maybe it's wishful thinking but I love him
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 am

Bad park, bad lineup, not much of a track record and C is insanely deep this year for a 1 C league is probably why you don't hear too much about him. Add in that it might take a few weeks to get the C eligibility and I get it. I think he's a good pick where he is going though, certainly better than wasting an early pick on someone like Napoli which is always a mistake in a 1 C league~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 am

I dont mind him not getting hyped up as this will allow me to scoop up a potential stud bat in the early to mid teen rounds.

Jcook's safe 5x5 Projection of 70/20/85/1/.285 seem to me to be really safe. I think he posts bigger HR and AVG numbers. I have him as my DH right now in one league and I am savoring the moment he boots Iannetta off my roster. The sooner the better.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am

The only real concern to me in redraft leagues is that the position eligibility. I've gone down that road before of drafting a guy expecting him to get that extra position fairly early and I always seemed to get burned. It could be even more troublesome with the C position since they get extra days off anyways.

He should still carry decent enough numbers at the Util spot, but if it takes a month or more (depending on your league rules) to get to C, he definitely takes a hit this year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Let's talk Jesus Montero

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

I honestly don't think he'll catch much. He's pretty bad at it and it weakens his bat. If I had to guess I'd say 25 games behind the dish, which means it may be as late as mid-June before he catches that 5th game.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I honestly don't think he'll catch much. He's pretty bad at it and it weakens his bat. If I had to guess I'd say 25 games behind the dish, which means it may be as late as mid-June before he catches that 5th game.

I think this might be true but it won't be this spread out, he'll start the year doing it more often and do it less and less often as the season goes on.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I honestly don't think he'll catch much. He's pretty bad at it and it weakens his bat. If I had to guess I'd say 25 games behind the dish, which means it may be as late as mid-June before he catches that 5th game.

Jack Z has said they plan on him catching at least 2 games a week.
He should have 5 games in easy, before week 4.
Jack Z really wants him to stay at catcher.
The only reason they are breaking him in slow, is they are working with him, and they still have Olivo for 3-4 games.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Jack Z has said they plan on him catching at least 2 games a week.
He should have 5 games in easy, before week 4.
Jack Z really wants him to stay at catcher.
The only reason they are breaking him in slow, is they are working with him, and they still have Olivo for 3-4 games.

This. I dont see it taking more than a month, if even that long, to catch 5 games.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Return to Baseball Leftovers