Jimmy Rollins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jimmy Rollins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jimmy Rollins

Postby canibus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:15 am

Is he a nice sleeper candidate at SS?
In one of my leagues, he's my best replacement for Nomar.

His numbers the last few years are not that exciting, but he seems to have alot of promise.

Likin' the Phils this year.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby inkubus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:17 am

Yecch, Rollins is good-for-nothing in my book.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby canibus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:21 am

ha-ha.
Yeah, his numbers don't really speak to the nice write-up yahoo gives him. He seems to have some steal potential, but his runs,rbis,hrs and avg are pretty low for someone playing 600+ games.
Huh?
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

J.R.

Postby Ry-Guy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:52 am

I'm not ready to write Jimmy Rollins of just yet. I know he's been pretty pathetic the past few seasons but I think he realizes that if he doesn't have a good year in 2004, his days as a starter are numbered. I think you're gonna see a newly motivated J.R. this year. He'd better play hard and good if he wants to get a decent payday when he goes free agent.
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:28 am

I'm still wondering where he's hitting. If he's hitting second he'll be doing more bunting and hitting to move the runner over and exactly how much stealing can we expect with Thome hitting third?

If he's lower in the lineup most of his categories suffer, but he might actually get more steal opps. :-?

Last I heard Bowa was leaning towards batting him 2nd because of Polanco's troubles this spring.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

Postby the_tenman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:47 am

You should count yourself as fortunate to have a guy like Rollins available as a backup. I assume you don`t have a MI position. Don`t expect much in the way of batting average, but he should be a solid speed guy with a bit of power considering he is a shortstop.
Not afraid to go against the grain!
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:02 am

If he is hitting second it won't last. The guy can't get on base, he has no pop--why would you put him that far up inthe line-up instead of Polanco? He is almost as worthless in real baseball as in fantasy baseball. He has all the earmarks of one of those guys that everyone claims will have a breakout year for five years straight and nothing happens (see Beltre, Adrian).
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby the_tenman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:28 pm

stumpak wrote:If he is hitting second it won't last. The guy can't get on base, he has no pop--why would you put him that far up inthe line-up instead of Polanco? He is almost as worthless in real baseball as in fantasy baseball. He has all the earmarks of one of those guys that everyone claims will have a breakout year for five years straight and nothing happens (see Beltre, Adrian).

This comment is so dumb, baseless and idiotic that it can only truly be read as a lie, falsehood or biased statement.

No sense letting fact get in the way of an opinion there chump!
Not afraid to go against the grain!
the_tenman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Katfish » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:37 pm

I am in a similar situation. I have Rollins and only Rollins, so I've been wondering about him myself.

I have read good things about how he's been working with T. Gwynn to get on base more. Rollins himself says that he could have stolen 30+ bases last year but for a hammy problem. However, TSN.com has him penciled in at 8th in the lineup. Not good news at all IF that's true. No power, no average, and possibly no opportunities.

Is there anyone else available in your league?
"There's something kind of 'eee-yew' about a boy who doesn't like baseball." Foghorn Leghorn
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stumpak » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:35 pm

Are you retarded Tenman? Rollins is .263 career hitter, with his best season coming his rookie year. His career OBP is an abysmal .320. His eye rate has not improved ever. His SB sucess rate was a crappy 62% last year, for only 20 steals. He has very limited power--yes I know, he claims he is working toward more power, but everyone who can't dingers says that.

To review, since you do not seem very intelligent, Rollins is piece of crap:

-His BA will hurt you
-He will do OK for a SS in Rs, providing he continues to hit 2nd, which will probably not be the case.
-He will underperform by quie a bit in RBI versus the SS norm
-He will underperform by quie a bit in HR versus the SS norm
-He will exceed the SS norm in SBs, but only marginally

To put it another way, there is nothing to indicate that e will probably not do better than Julio Lugo in any category except maybe runs.

What would possibly make you think this guy is an adequate SS? If you have him in your line-up in a 12 team league, you are in trouble. Who knows why the Phillies have him hitting 2nd, but it will not last, since Rollins has proven he is mediocre and there is not one indicator to make any reasonable person think this will change.

So watch who you are calling an idiot when you are completely wrong.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers