Please rate this auction and I will scrutinize yours - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please rate this auction and I will scrutinize yours

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rate this auction and I will scrutinize yours

Postby crimedoctor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 pm

$433 budget: 12-team H2H, categories. 30 players C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OF, OF, OF, OF, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, + 12 bench spots.

13 categories for hitters, including a few odd ones, At Bats, Fielding %, walks, OBP, slugging. Only 9 pitching categories, includes Saves, but emphasizes starters. Below, my team is listed, the order of nomination, and price.

1. (2) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B) $70
2. (8) Justin Upton (Ari - OF) $59
3. (21) Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS) $64
4. (23) Bryce Harper (Was - OF) $4
5. (49) Clayton Kershaw (LAD - SP) $52
6. (68) Jay Bruce (Cin - OF) $25
7. (70) Desmond Jennings (TB - OF) $21
8. (100) David Price (TB - SP) $33
9. (104) Eric Hosmer (KC - 1B) $23
10. (105) Paul Goldschmidt (Ari - 1B) $11
11. (125) Brian Wilson (SF - RP) $15
12. (142) Erick Aybar (LAA - SS) $6
13. (190) Neil Walker (Pit - 2B) $7
14. (194) Geovany Soto (ChC - C) $8
15. (206) J.P. Arencibia (Tor - C) $6
16. (261) Chris Sale (CWS - RP) $3
17. (272) Matt Thornton (CWS - RP) $3
18. (283) Bud Norris (Hou - SP) $2
19. (287) Tim Stauffer (SD - SP) $1
20. (292) Wandy Rodriguez (Hou - SP) $4
21. (300) Brandon McCarthy (Oak - SP) $2
22. (306) Mike Minor (Atl - SP) $2
23. (307) Justin Smoak (Sea - 1B) $1
24. (308) John Danks (CWS - SP) $2
25. (309) Mike Carp (Sea - 1B,OF) $2
26. (316) Addison Reed (CWS - RP) $1
27. (317) Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP) $2
28. (325) Ryan Raburn (Det - 2B,OF) $1
29. (326) Grant Balfour (Oak - RP) $2
30. (333) Scott Sizemore (Oak - 2B,3B) $1

Notes: Clear strategy was to find elite studs fairly early who were not excessively bid up, Cabrera, Justin Upton, Tulo, Kershaw, .....look for pretty cheap bargains, Jennings, Goldschmidt, Aybar, ....and then save several extra dollars to scoop up some super cheapies who should produce, Sale, Wandy, Minor, Smoak, Reed, Raburn, Balfour. I was so exhausted at the end, I almost picked WITHOUT a 3B on my roster! I won't need one when Cabrera gains eligibility at 3B, ....but I didn't realize Sizemore was gone for the year. I now have Chase Headley to hold me over during the first several days of the season.
crimedoctor
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Please rate this auction and I will scrutinize yours

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:15 pm

It is kind of hard to say anything with 21 categories. I played in a league like this once and it was a big headache. I found it was best to concentrate on the odd categories like triples and complete games and stack my team for the categories no one was paying any attention. I few things that stuck out to me.

Minor is huge steal at $2
M-Cab is a great hitter but he might single-handedly lose you FLD% every week playing 3B.
With only 1 C spot I don't see why you bought two for $8 and $6. I would rather just have one $14 catcher.
The offense does look good except 2B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coaster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I've never played in a league with a format similar to this, but I pretty much agree with what Pogo had to say. You got some good bargains and I think your strategy of loading up early with good players for cheaper prices will pay off. Good luck!
Coaster
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crimedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:It is kind of hard to say anything with 21 categories. I played in a league like this once and it was a big headache. I found it was best to concentrate on the odd categories like triples and complete games and stack my team for the categories no one was paying any attention. I few things that stuck out to me.

Minor is huge steal at $2
M-Cab is a great hitter but he might single-handedly lose you FLD% every week playing 3B.
With only 1 C spot I don't see why you bought two for $8 and $6. I would rather just have one $14 catcher.
The offense does look good except 2B.

Thanks. Good calls Pogo, ....I didn't really want two catchers, but a lot of C's had been nominated and bought up (mostly overpriced) by that point in the draft. I was really high on J.P., ....thinking I could get him at $6 or $7 or even cheaper much later. When Soto got nominated, I think I figured him to be worth $10 so (too much, ....I know), .....and I tried to drive the price closer to that. When J.P. was nominated so soon after that, I got caught repeating the process on the guy I wanted all along. That was the only time I ran into that buzz saw in the draft. Yes, I can smell the migraines coming with this league's categories, ...but I DID want a challenge that would be anything but an easy win. I hope you are wrong about Cabrera booting balls left and right. He is a mediocre fielder anywhere on the field. If he can just hold his own, ......

I DO disagree on the 2B spot, ....Walker/Raburn seems like a huge value for only $8 combined in a $433 league.
crimedoctor
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team