Strategy Help, H2H Points Auction League, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Strategy Help, H2H Points Auction League, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy Help, H2H Points Auction League, WHIR

Postby brommy15 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 am

I have a H2H Points league auction draft on Sunday. Daily lineups. 12 teams with the following roster spots:
Hitters- C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, U
Pitchers- SP, SP, SP, SP, RP
Bench-8 spots

I've been trying to figure out the best strategy to spend my money. I read a post that said spend a lot on 4-5 stud hitters, get one ace and then load up on cheap pitching, especially in the bench spots. Is this really the optimal strategy or does it make more sense to allocate 50% for hitting, 50% on pitching? When I sketch out teams based on different budgets (overestimating what I think a player will go for) it seems like I'm better off investing in a couple of top SP's (i.e.-Doc, Haren), having solid SP on my bench and having solid bats but not going after the Miggy's of the world. Any advice from people who have been successful in this format? Thanks much and I WHIR in other league/keeper questions.

$260 budget, scoring format is:
Runs (R) 1 Singles (1B) 1 Doubles (2B) 2 Triples (3B) 3 Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1 Stolen Bases (SB) 2 Caught Stealing (CS) -1 Walks (BB) 1 Hit By Pitch (HBP) 1 Strikeouts (K) -0.5

Innings Pitched (IP) 3 Wins (W) 7 Losses (L) -5 Saves (SV) 7 Hits (H) -1 Earned Runs (ER) -1 Walks (BB) -1 Hit Batters (HBP) -1 Strikeouts (K) 0.5 Quality Starts (QS) 3
brommy15
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy Help, H2H Points Auction League, WHIR

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 am

Auctions are so funny, because you never know if some guy is going to overspend in the first round to land a Miggy or someone wont bid at all for the first 20 players then load up in the middle players.

My best advice is set limits on players you really want I.E.: Kemp $48, Pujols 47, Fielder 42 ect. ect. ect. Then stick to your limits early. But if every guy you want is going 2/3 dollars higher than you want to spend. Make the adjustment in your draft.

Also I like to nominate players early who I dont want but know others will usually bid on, (I.E. Rollins, darvish ect.) They will spend a little money on these guys and take up some cash and some roster spots as well.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am

Auction are so fluid from league to league. I would definitely set limits on players this will allow you to know if a guy is going over slot and it will also allow you to see if a guy is going cheap and try and snag him then.

There are a lot of ways to go with an auction. Some like Stars and Scrubs which means you spend most of your money on studs (SP or hitters) and then fill holes with $1 players. Some get all hitters and then piece together a rotation with cheap SP.

What kind of fantasy player are you? Do you do a good job finding gems off the WW? If so then i would probably go Stars and Scrubs. If not then I would watch what players are going for and see if you can get some deals.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby brommy15 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks Cadens and Maud. I'm usually pretty good at picking out undervalued guys and avoiding overvalued guys. But what I'm really struggling with is the Points component of this league. I play in traditional Roto and H2H categories leagues and have a good feel for what it takes to win.

But a points league is so different that I'm trying to get some more strategic insight into what it takes to win a league with H2H points.

1B and 2B seem to have higher spreads between the best and 12th best players relative to other positions (similar to fantasy football where QB's often times score more points but there are many good qb's vs. less great RB's). So one thought is to land a top 5 1B and a top 3 2B and spend less on other hitters. Pitching is weird in this as well given it's a daily league with only 4 SP spots and 8 bench spots. I believe people will own at least 10 SP's (120+ SP's drafted) thus there will be little worthwhile streaming on the waiver wire (max 3 transactions per week rule in effect). Do I spend top $ on multiple real good SP's or just load up on $7-$10 guys on winning teams?
brommy15
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am

I think there are only 3 pitchers worth getting in a bidding war for, and I'd only shoot for one. I also don't think a pitchers team should make very much difference in how he is drafted. Heck most people think Kershaw is the number #1 pitcher, look at his stats compared to every other pitcher for LAD last year. It was him, not the team.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brommy15 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks Jeffrey. To clarify, I meant I'd like to get third, fourth or fifth starters on winning teams to make sure I get a W (+7) vs. an L (-5). So I was thinking about targeting guys like Worley, Santana, Holland/Lewis, Fister, etc.

Just curious, how high would you go for a Doc/Kershaw/Verlander?
brommy15
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NickyEyes113 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 am

I'm in a similar boat as OP.

I'm doing my first live auction for a head-to-head 12 team points league. $250 cap for 25 players.

I understand the concept of valuing players. I do it every year for football and i can honestly come within a couple of bucks for every single player drafted.

I just have no clue what those numbers might be for baseball. I don't wanna go and put a well thought out # on every player and then be totally off on everything. that would suck.
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby pelana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Would be great to here more strategy on this.

Specifically because rankings can completely change from the "norm" since some players will score more points than others. The OP brings up good points there's normally a huge disparity between the top 10 positions of several hundred points.

Are auction values the same due to position scarcity?

Any help is appreciated!
pelana
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions