Is Trout Worth Stashing in 12-team keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is Trout Worth Stashing in 12-team keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Trout Worth Stashing in 12-team keeper league?

Postby MaxMan715 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I just joined a 12-team H2H keeper league where we can keep 4 each year (for draft picks). One of the managers dropped Mike Trout and I am wondering if stashing him would be beneficial for me overall. If he gets called up this season and plays well, I could keep him next season in exchange for a 23rd round pick. Here is my roster:

C - Arencebia
1st - I Davis
2nd - R Weeks
3rd - Bautista
SS - Andrus
OF - Granderson
OF - Pence
OF - Stubbs
Util - Cespedes

Bench:
Dunn
Quentin

SPs:
Cain
Bumgarner
Latos
Morrow
Chacin
Holland
Vogelsong

RPs:
Axford
Francisco
Myers
K-Rod
D Hernandez
MaxMan715
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Trout Worth Stashing in 12-team keeper league?

Postby onitapgr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm

MaxMan715 wrote:I just joined a 12-team H2H keeper league where we can keep 4 each year (for draft picks). One of the managers dropped Mike Trout and I am wondering if stashing him would be beneficial for me overall. If he gets called up this season and plays well, I could keep him next season in exchange for a 23rd round pick. Here is my roster:

C - Arencebia
1st - I Davis
2nd - R Weeks
3rd - Bautista
SS - Andrus
OF - Granderson
OF - Pence
OF - Stubbs
Util - Cespedes

Bench:
Dunn
Quentin

SPs:
Cain
Bumgarner
Latos
Morrow
Chacin
Holland
Vogelsong

RPs:
Axford
Francisco
Myers
K-Rod
D Hernandez

I don't think I would stash him with only two bench spots. If one of the Angels gets injured though, I would jump all over him
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Not with such a short bench. Unless you are out of the championship or your team is so stacked you don't need your bench but right now neither one should be you.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MaxMan715 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Well, the problem is that a lot of managers are beginning to stash good prospect/injured players on their benches. For instance - Harper is gone and so is even Victor Martinez.
MaxMan715
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby silverZ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 am

Trout would be a pretty big commitment with only 2 bench spots and only 4 keepers. When injuries start to hit your team and you need an extra bat you can't drop him and hope to get him back. The lost bench spot would also greatly limit your ability to take fliers on guys who come out of nowhere and produce in April. I would rather have the bench spot than a guy who probably won't help you this year.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

With Trout being a potential 23rd round keeper, I would probably stash him.

Assuming you have DL spots, the short bench isn't that big of a deal IMO. In a standard 12 team league with no extra hitting spots, the free agent pool will still have some decent players. So replacing guys who get injured won't be as big of a deal IMO. Especially in a H2H league- just ride hot streaks of free agents if someone on your team gets hurt.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:41 am

MaxMan715 wrote:Well, the problem is that a lot of managers are beginning to stash good prospect/injured players on their benches. For instance - Harper is gone and so is even Victor Martinez.

I don't see this as being a problem. This leaves more available on the WW for you. Odds are pretty good that you wouldn't be keeping Trout next year and they are also good that he will have minimal value for you this year. In a H2H league, I would be streaming pitchers a lot and would want that bench spot open so that I can pick up 2 start pitchers or something like that. I think you are better off letting another team fill their bench with unusable players which leaves you more to choose from.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

I agree with Mauddib, I don't see it as a problem either that other teams are locking up their rosters when they need the space. I'd vote in your league for a bigger bench, part of the fun of long lasting leagues is forecasting.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions