David Wright Tears Rib Muscle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright Tears Rib Muscle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wright Tears Rib Muscle

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Earlier today the NY Post reported that David Wright has a strained rectus abdominis (a tear in the muscle near his ribs). While the article (see below for link) reports that he should be ready to go by opening day, I have to wonder how much this might set back his projections? Additionally with his injury history, how much does this concern everyone here?

His current MDP is 30.3, essential a 2-3 round pick. I'd like this thread to be less about players you'd prefer over Wright, and more about how this news affects your outlook on Wright.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/metsblog/mets_wright_has_rib_tear_says_for_q2IlHMPxHBQO5LWh5YUPRK
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Wright Tears Rib Muscle

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Just seems like it is one thing after another with him. It was down to him or Matt Holliday as my last keeper, this just made it an easy decision.

Im not sure it changes his actual ADP, but it makes me leary...
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 pm

David Wright has a lot of talent.

But avoid David Wright at all costs on your fantasy teams. He has done nothing over the last 3 years to justify the elite level with which he is drafted at. If you can get him in the 11th round, then by all means go ahead, otherwise, drafting David Wright is essentially guaranteeing yourself something other than a fantasy championship.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:59 am

BigZ38 wrote:David Wright has a lot of talent.

But avoid David Wright at all costs on your fantasy teams. He has done nothing over the last 3 years to justify the elite level with which he is drafted at. If you can get him in the 11th round, then by all means go ahead, otherwise, drafting David Wright is essentially guaranteeing yourself something other than a fantasy championship.

I drafted him in one league. Oh well. Here's hoping.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 am

BigZ38 wrote:David Wright has a lot of talent.

He averaged 20 HR and 23 SB in '09 - '10, bat .294, and averaged 88 Runs and RBI apiece. Last year he was hurt, as was the rest of the team. He's being drafted where he is because he should be good for at least .285, 20 HR, 20 SB, and 80 R/RBI apiece, with .300, 30/30 being a possibility that he's achieved multiple times.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 am

Not sure what to think of Wright. I have avoided him in all drafts, but if he fell to the 4th round I think I would draft him without question. Any earlier than that is too risky to me. And if I drafted him in the top 5 rounds, I am basically hoping that he (1) stays healthy, and (2) gets traded to a contender like the Phillies midseason. If he stays with the Mets AND remains/gets healthy, projecting more than 160 R/RBI is probably optimistic in that lineup.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 am

I've seen members here mention razzball.com before. Anyway here's what Grey (very knowledgeable fantasy source, eccentric writer) wrote about David Wright this morning:

"The Mets doctors said Johan Santana would miss a start or two. That was a year ago. He’s still working his way back. The Mets doctors said Jose Reyes would miss a weekend series in 2009, he missed three months. The Mets doctors said Carlos Beltran would miss a game in 2009; it took him two years to come back. The other day someone asked me for money for Doctors Without Borders so they could help people in The Congo. Why isn’t there a lady in front of Whole Foods asking me to donate to find a cure for David Wright? Because I sure don’t trust the Mets doctors. Film a PSA with Chipper Jones and Julie Andrews and show that shizz before movies. “I’m Julie Andrews.” “And I’m Chipper Jones” Both, “And David Wright needs our help.” The Mets are saying Wright has a tear in his left side and Mets fans have a tear in their eyes. Word on the street is Wright has a similar injury to Ryan Zimmerman’s last year when he missed two months. The prognosis, if prognosis is the right word, is not good. Wright is saying he can be ready by Opening Day. I say great, terrific, other sarcastic word, I don’t want to draft him anywhere. If Della Reese touches his bat while dressed as an angel and Wright gets 500 ABs this year, how good do you think those 500 ABs are gonna be? Do you think he’s going to show power? If 22 homers were the low end for his projections, I’d be surprised if he breaks 17 homers now. What if when he slides, he feels pain in his side? He’s not going to be stealing bases. You see Wright there in the 5th round now, I say pass. Yes, third base just got shallower."

Very interesting food for thought. I'll be avoiding him unless he falls substantially. In my keeper league, it was between him and David Price. This made Price easily my choice.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 60)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

This is suddenly a divisive character. I'm seeing rounds 3-11 here in the cafe, and razzball says don't touch until at least the 6th.

For me, the early round picks are all about the minimum you should expect from them... but when that baseline is jeopardized by health issues, they drop in my rankings. There's lots of time between now and Opening Day, but if I were drafting today i'd hesitate to take him before the 5th. A brittle OF like Hamilton in the top 5 rounds is okay... there's lots of depth out there to replace his production. But 3B is shallow and a top 5 round 3B needs to perform... replacing him with Chase Headley doesn't sound very appetizing to me.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am

And they didn't even mention the Ike Davis fantasy fiasco last year. Next week became two weeks became next month became all-star break became next season.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 am

I was big on Wright early on, but now he has fallen in my eyes. I just dont feel safe drafting him where he will go

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers