Motte for Rollins and Alonso?(WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Motte for Rollins and Alonso?(WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Motte for Rollins and Alonso?(WHIR)

Postby kidsilk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 pm

NL only league, auction style with 7 keepers and 260 dollar cap, 5x5 roto style

My Keepers as of now:

Bruce(33)
Wright(38)
Holliday(34)
Lincecum(33)
CarGo(42)
Alonso(1)
Garza(20)

I have been offered Jason Motte(2) for my Alonso(1) and Rollins(23...who I am not keeping). I normally wouldn't consider this but finding a closer in a 13 team NL only league may be difficult especially with my lack of finances going into the draft. Knowing what you know would you keep Motte(he also has Jansen) over Alonso? Leave your links and I will help you out. Thanks.
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1229)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Motte for Rollins and Alonso?(WHIR)

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I think you've got to get Motte somehow given your league and finances, yes. You have to hope, though, that Motte keeps the job for a few years (and even this season). It's a risk, but since you're not keeping Rollins anyway and no one really knows what Alonso is going to do in SD, you should make the trade to rest easier on draft day.

If you haven't told the other guy you aren't planning to keep Rollins anyway (thus showing your hand), see if you can weasel Jansen out of him as well. Jansen could just be a reliever this year if Guerra hangs on, and with Jansen's recent injury his stock might be a little lower. If the other guy really wants Rollins and Alonso, I would think he could throw in Jansen for you to speculate with.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby mkultra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I like Motte finally getting his chance in STL, but do you have any inkling of who's going to be available at 1B? Alonso's not great, but he's got pop and he'll get 1B eligibility quickly. In an NL-only league, he's arguably a Top-10 guy at that position. Looking at your finances, you'd be going into your draft with $58 after that trade, and I'd rather be sprinkling that money on high-risk pitchers than be forced to bid up someone like Duda or Belt.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I would do this deal. I don't think Alonso will do much for you and you weren't keeping Rollins anyway. Motte has been pretty good as a closer so far and like you said closers will be hard to find especially at this price point.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions