Help crafting a draft strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help crafting a draft strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help crafting a draft strategy?

Postby m16a » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey yall, so after two seasons off of fantasy baseball, I've decided to get myself back into it. I'll be playing with a small group of guys I know through my church. It's a smaller league (8 teams), which should be good to get me back into the swing of fantasy. This will also be the first time I'm playing categories (last time I played points), so this should be a good crash course. Anyways, since I just made this decision today, I was hoping I could get some input on a drafting strategy. I know the top picks are guys like Pujols and MCab? What rounds should I target what positions and whatnot?

I know you'll have some good ideas, so here are my roster reqs and scoring cats:

Roster:
C
1B
2B
3B
SS
OFx4
UTIL
SPx3
RPx2
P (guessing a Util type pitcher, RP or SP)

Cats offensive:
R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB (total bases), PO (putouts), E, AVG, OPS

Cats pitching:
W, L, CG, SHO, SV, outs, H, R,HR, BB, K, GIDP, ERA, WHIP, and K/9

Thanks for the help. Since the description of leftovers includes strategy, I assumed this right. Please move along if not.

m16a
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help crafting a draft strategy?

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Holy Mackeral !! with all of those categories I don't think you need a specific strategy, since you're only about 130 players deep, just draft the best guys available, here's a good place to start:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... femock.php

Good Luck ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby m16a » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm

ayebatter wrote:Holy Mackeral !! with all of those categories I don't think you need a specific strategy, since you're only about 130 players deep, just draft the best guys available, here's a good place to start:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... femock.php

Good Luck ;-D

I'm looking at drafting third overall, so I guess I'm gonna have guys like Tulo and JoeBau available to me. Thanks for the input. Does this setup place a higher value on any type of player? It's a lot less SP than I'm used to, and more OF than I'm used to.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 pm

That's too many darn cats. Like the earlier poster said, it's pretty difficult to try to craft any kind of "strategy" when you have that many different factors.

In terms of positional drafting, my strategy would be roughly along the lines of:

Draft a power-hitting 1B early. After the first 6 or 7 it gets weak.

Also go with a strong bat OF early, too, as there will be a premium since you need at least four for every roster.

After that, fill in your infield, probably looking at 3B and SS first, then 2B. Don't go with an SP until at least round seven or eight, then take the best one there. Fill in the rest of your offense, then grab SP and RP depending on quality available, with an emphasis on SP first.

That's pretty basic, and I'm probably not thinking enough about this, so if someone else wants to dispute what I'm saying here, please feel free to offer a second opinion.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby m16a » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 am

kaiser wrote:That's too many darn cats. Like the earlier poster said, it's pretty difficult to try to craft any kind of "strategy" when you have that many different factors.

In terms of positional drafting, my strategy would be roughly along the lines of:

Draft a power-hitting 1B early. After the first 6 or 7 it gets weak.

Also go with a strong bat OF early, too, as there will be a premium since you need at least four for every roster.

After that, fill in your infield, probably looking at 3B and SS first, then 2B. Don't go with an SP until at least round seven or eight, then take the best one there. Fill in the rest of your offense, then grab SP and RP depending on quality available, with an emphasis on SP first.

That's pretty basic, and I'm probably not thinking enough about this, so if someone else wants to dispute what I'm saying here, please feel free to offer a second opinion.

Can I afford to wait til my second rounder to try and grab someone like Tex or Fielder, or is it worth going for someone like Votto at 3rd overall?
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am

Rule Of thumb with the first round is that You simply take the best player available, regardless of position (except, perhaps, for an SP lIke Halladay or Kershaw. I would not take an SP in the first.). If that first rounder is a 1B like MCab or Pujols, so be it. But if you take someone like Braun or Bautista in the first, grab your 1B in the second. Fielder, Konerko and Texiera should be the last three 1B you want, and in that order in my opinion. None of them will be there in the third, except perhaps in a ten team league... But even there you're really rolling the dice.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Return to Baseball Leftovers