Jacob Turner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jacob Turner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jacob Turner

Postby bujfan2030 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Looks like there is a pretty good chance Andy Oliver beats him out for the 5th starting spot. I haven't seen him pitch this year. Does it look like he's going to need a lot of time in the Minors to work on things. Anybody ready to give up on him already. Is his prospect ranking still justified?
bujfan2030
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Jacob Turner

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:04 pm

bujfan2030 wrote:Anybody ready to give up on him already. Is his prospect ranking still justified?

Say whaaaat? Who is doubting Turner? The only question in my mind is if he becomes a legit ace or more of a "solid #2." The Tigers rush their prospects; in most orgs he would still be in AA or something. He's, what, 20 years old? Who in their right mind would give up on him, and based on what? A handful of innings at the end of the year? A handful of ST innings?

Sickles on Turner:

Grade A-: I think he could use some additional Triple-A exposure, but the Tigers may have different ideas. I don't see him as a number one Verlander-like ace, but more like a durable workhorse number two.

Baseball America:

While he doesn't have the pure stuff of a true ace pitcher, he has the repertoire and command to be a No. 2 or 3 starter in the big leagues.

S2S:

Turner is one of the best pitching prospects in all of the minors and seems destined to hold down a spot at the front of a major league rotation. My only concern here is that the Tigers will continue to push him too aggressively and in doing so will prevent him from maximizing his potential.

BP:

Turner has three average-to-plus pitches that all play up due to highly advanced command and control. He throws several variations of an 89-95 mph fastball that he adds and subtracts from while adding cut or sink. His power curveball is an easy plus offering that he uses to get outs while ahead in the count, and his changeup is advanced for his age...[fantasy impact] is good across the board but short of elite.

BB:

...hard to find too many pitching prospects better than Jacob Turner. He’s not on the top tier with Moore & Teheran, but he falls just behind that select group. Turner commands a fastball with heavy sink and two above-average off-speed pitches; it’s easy to draw a parallel between him and Rick Porcello and conclude that he will turn into a similar pitcher, but there is more upside with Turner – currently, at least, since the case can be made that Detroit’s aggression with Porcello stunted his growth...Jacob Turner is a great pitching prospect and a pretty safe bet to be a front of the rotation starter.

BI:

With 2 plus pitches and a changeup that should be good enough to keep major league hitters guessing we’re looking at a skill set of a #2 starter...Turner needs time to develop his secondaries to match his plus plus FB. He has a workhorse frame and could be an upper level #2 starter in DET in due time.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bujfan2030 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:19 pm

So I guess a better question is how much work does he need. 1/2 a season, a full season, longer? Any guesses appreciated
bujfan2030
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Dealing with shoulder tendinitis and has been shut down for a few days. This has apparently effected him since last fall, and his velocity is down.

Shoulder injuries can be worse than elbow injuries in general. Anyone worried about this injury. Those of us who own him I guess are in a wait and see mode right now. I like him as a prospect, but since so many top SP prospects don't work out at the next level, hard to justify holding a guy for a long period of time if you are looking to compete this year.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warner892001 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah, I have him in my keeper league. I was possibly considering trading him and getting Jair Jurrjens back and then sending JJ to my friend for a first round draft pick.

I just wonder if Turner will live up to his hype or is he more a mid rotation pitcher.
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bujfan2030 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Well I own him in a keeper where you keep 23 out of 25 players. I inherited a pretty bad team. So generally I can afford to be patient. But it would be ideal if I could just DL him while I'm waiting. But I'm not certain he'll be eligible by Yahoo rules..I'm not a pitcher hater like some, but I'm pretty sure stuff like this is why a lot of people prefer bats.
bujfan2030
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:15 am

bujfan2030 wrote:Well I own him in a keeper where you keep 23 out of 25 players. I inherited a pretty bad team. So generally I can afford to be patient. But it would be ideal if I could just DL him while I'm waiting. But I'm not certain he'll be eligible by Yahoo rules..I'm not a pitcher hater like some, but I'm pretty sure stuff like this is why a lot of people prefer bats.

I think the bat preference is overrated. If you don't put any pitchers in your minors then you won't have any pitchers to add to your rotation (depending on league setup).

Prospects fail all the time regardless if they are hitters or pitchers. what I like to do with pitching prospects is collect a lot of high upside guys and hope that a couple turn out. I also like to trade multiple top prospects for established vets.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball