How to get the word out about your league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to get the word out about your league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to get the word out about your league?

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 am

My question is 2 parts:

1. How do you get a lot of exposure for your league besides simply posting it on the classified section (so that you can find owners/replacement owners)?
2. How do you weed out good owners from bad when getting emails from people who are interested in your league?

Thanks in advance....love this site.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to get the word out about your league?

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:My question is 2 parts:

1. How do you get a lot of exposure for your league besides simply posting it on the classified section (so that you can find owners/replacement owners)?
2. How do you weed out good owners from bad when getting emails from people who are interested in your league?

No. 1 == You could put an ad in the Yellow Pages or take an ad out in the Sunday paper,but other than that the Classifieds section of this board and others like it are about your only option.

No. 2 == Weeding out Bad Owners -- I think immture and bad go hand in hand. If the guy that uses "dude", and "man" and "you know what I mean" every other word, I would steer clear of him. You might ask how long they have been playing. I don't like people asking for "references". This isn't a job interview. I feel that I can tell alot frothe tone of emails.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Re: How to get the word out about your league?

Postby andrewkeefe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:11 am

bigmck wrote:
fantasyfiend wrote:My question is 2 parts:

No. 1 == You could put an ad in the Yellow Pages or take an ad out in the Sunday paper,but other than that the Classifieds section of this board and others like it are about your only option.

No. 2 == Weeding out Bad Owners -- I think immture and bad go hand in hand. If the guy that uses "dude", and "man" and "you know what I mean" every other word, I would steer clear of him. You might ask how long they have been playing. I don't like people asking for "references". This isn't a job interview. I feel that I can tell alot frothe tone of emails.

I agree with #1. I've looked around hard and this seems to be one of the better convergences of fantasy players I've found on-line. There is no magic bullet to league recruitment.

But, I kind of agree with #2. If "casual" language makes you uncomfortable, then maybe you should steer clear. But, most of the time people are just trying to be friendly and thats hard to do in an email or post. You just can't read too much into the language of a response. This year, I felt pressured to take someone quick, and I have no idea quite who I got. I would feel better in the future if I had just asked for a little background. And, I agree- immature usually equals bad.... I, personally, would feel a little more comfortable if someone threw a "dude" at me . ;-)
andrewkeefe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner