Who would you draft next? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who would you draft next? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who would you draft next? WHIR

Postby srb7215 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:31 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:Thanks SilverZ

So the last guy before me took Bailey. Everyone agree I go with Madson right?

No. I would rather have Motte or Walden over Madson. Madson has never been a strong saves guy, having failed in the role multiple times and now he is pitching in a hitters park. I think Walden is one of the better closers going late that could make the leap into the top 5 this year and Motte has shown to be pretty lights out so far.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
srb7215
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:25 pm

srb7215 wrote:

No. I would rather have Motte or Walden over Madson. Madson has never been a strong saves guy, having failed in the role multiple times and now he is pitching in a hitters park. I think Walden is one of the better closers going late that could make the leap into the top 5 this year and Motte has shown to be pretty lights out so far.

Thanks srb7215,
I like Walden and Motte too. I also like Santos. But Madson seems the safest to me right now given his 4 to 1 K rate and saving 32 of 34 last year. He also only gave up 2 home runs in a hitters park because he is a ground ball pitcher. I don't remember him failing multiple times though so maybe that is biasing my thinking. Not saying he didn't...I just didn't follow him that close so I don't remember.

Walden blew a ton of saves last year, but of course he is young and will probably be better this year. Motte has had his struggles too, though he did look good most of last year and looked real good at the end of the year in the role. He just didn't hold it that long. Anyway, just saying they seem to have at least as much risk as Madson, if not more imo.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Madson
Betancourt
Santos
Walden
Motte
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MaudDib » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:
srb7215 wrote:

Thanks srb7215,
I like Walden and Motte too. I also like Santos. But Madson seems the safest to me right now given his 4 to 1 K rate and saving 32 of 34 last year. He also only gave up 2 home runs in a hitters park because he is a ground ball pitcher. I don't remember him failing multiple times though so maybe that is biasing my thinking. Not saying he didn't...I just didn't follow him that close so I don't remember.

Walden blew a ton of saves last year, but of course he is young and will probably be better this year. Motte has had his struggles too, though he did look good most of last year and looked real good at the end of the year in the role. He just didn't hold it that long. Anyway, just saying they seem to have at least as much risk as Madson, if not more imo.

Madson had a solid year last year. In 2009 he blew 6 of his 16 save chances and in 2010 he blew 5 of his 10 save chances. I remember he was the hot pick up when Lidge went down but Madson could never hold on to the role. It was always kind of crazy because it wasn't like he wasn't good but he just couldn't keep it. Last year though he handled it just fine. The ballpark is worrisome no matter what.

Last year was kind of a fluky year for Walden. He blew 10 saves but the numbers don't back it up. Looking at his advanced stats shows a guy who should be a top 10 closer. Plus throw him on a team that is based around their pitching staff and should win 90 games and it seems to show me a guy that will get you 40+ saves.

I am glad most people are down on Walden, will be easier to get him on all my teams.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions