Please let me know what you think of my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please let me know what you think of my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please let me know what you think of my team

Postby nfljoe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

This is the first time I've ever done ROTO, I've always done H2H so I'm not sure I did a good job drafting.
This is a 5x5 standard 12 man ROTO league.
I would really like to know which categories I could stand to improve and which I have an abundance of.
Thanks again guys.

C Matt Wieters (Bal - C)
1B Pablo Sandoval (SF - 1B,3B)
2B Michael Young (Tex - 1B,2B,3B)
3B Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B,3B)
SS Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
OF Giancarlo Stanton (Mia - OF)
OF Alex Gordon (KC - OF)
OF Corey Hart (Mil - OF)
Util Jeff Francoeur (KC - OF)
Util Kendrys Morales (LAA - 1B,OF)
SP Roy Halladay (Phi - SP)
SP Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
RP John Axford (Mil - RP)
RP Drew Storen (Was - RP)
P Ryan Madson (Cin - RP)
P Anibal Sanchez (Mia - SP)
P Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)
P Jhoulys Chacin (Col - SP)
BN Grady Sizemore (Cle - OF)
BN Brandon Belt (SF - 1B,OF)
BN Mitch Moreland (Tex - 1B,OF)
BN Derek Holland (Tex - SP)
BN A.J. Burnett (Pit - SP)
nfljoe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please let me know what you think of my team

Postby Simon Bonesteel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Not bad at all! I really like the flexibility you have with your infield. This'll be especially important if Edwin Encarnacion isn't able to keep hitting. I love Wieters for this year, great pick there. K Morales is a risk, but you knew that; and of course, if he gets back to anywhere near 2009 numbers, you'll be looking like a genius. Keep an eye on Hart, he had knee surgery and may miss some of the regular season. Don't be afraid to pull the plug on Jeff Francoeur either; 2011 was a career year for him and may well have been an aberration, and there's lots of sleeper value to be found in the outfield this year.

I like your pitching staff as well, you were able to get some late-round gems like Garcia and Chacin to shore up the back end of your rotation. You may have overpaid on closers a little, you could have taken other players in the rounds where you picked Axford and Storen and gone for later-round value in guys like Betancourt, Street, Motte, etc. But you'll obviously be great with saves.

I would say that your bench is the one area that you could use some improvement. AJ Burnett is going to miss the first few months of the season, and isn't worth stashing on your bench. You can probably safely drop Grady Sizemore as well; as someone who held onto him for a majority of last season and was burned by his continued injuries and lack of production, I think his days of ever being fantasy relevant are over. I like Brandon Belt a lot, but he's got a lot of roadblocks to playing time. I would suggest that you pick up some guys for your bench spots that are eligible for other infield positions. Tulo will probably need at least a little time on the DL over the course of the season, and I've already mentioned the possibility of Encarnacion not following up from his relative success from 2011. Consider guys like Danny Espinosa, who might drag down your AVG, but has some real pop; Stephen Drew, who will miss the beginning of the season but is useful when healthy; Aaron Hill, who has a chance to extend his stronger second half numbers over a full season; and Mike Aviles, a multipositional guy with high upside who will be hitting in Boston's lineup.
"I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
Simon Bonesteel
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ray Zorback » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 pm

I agree with Simon, your bench needs some help. AJ and Grady can go. See what kind of bat is available. With the flexibility you have it doesn't matter much what position.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 237)

Postby jruffus1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks for the post. You chanced on Morales too! lol. I would suggest that you try to package some pitchers for a more established starter. You have some fine hurlers, but also a lot of mediocre ones.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Postby berutkowski » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm

In Roto I think this team will work--for instance someone like Young will even out the weaknesses of Panda and Stanton...Someone like Franceour is super solid in Roto league too (one of my favs last year in Roto)

Also a little concerned about pitching...After Halladay, It's a lot of #3 guys...round up a couple of them and get someone who can be a high-risk/high-return game changer like Pineda or Hanson....Just a thought.

SP Roy Halladay (Phi - SP)
SP Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
RP John Axford (Mil - RP)
RP Drew Storen (Was - RP)
P Ryan Madson (Cin - RP)
P Anibal Sanchez (Mia - SP)
P Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)
P Jhoulys Chacin (Col - SP)
BN Grady Sizemore (Cle - OF)
BN Brandon Belt (SF - 1B,OF)
BN Mitch Moreland (Tex - 1B,OF)
BN Derek Holland (Tex - SP)