Jerry Sands - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jerry Sands

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jerry Sands

Postby stoggie10 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone know the scoop on Jerry? Is he someone to hold on to or will be just be a platoon guy?
stoggie10
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jerry Sands

Postby Goatrider » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 pm

I like Sands; but I am in NL Only. 20+hrs and 10+sb in minors. Projecting to Majors, 10 steals is his ceiling but 20 hrs is quite doable. Was terrible in his first 130 at bats last year but absolutely scorched in his Sept call-up. From what I have read, the increased performance was do to a legit fix in his swing and not just hitting against expanded rosters. Most think he will start 2012 in AAA, but with Juan Rivera and Tony Gwynn in LF- that probably won't last long. Also, if Dodgers give up on Loney, Sands rates average/above average defensively at first and will see ABs there. I wouldn't put him in sleeper category but as a cheap 5th OF or reserve, he may pay dividends.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 20)

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Goatrider, I wasn't all the impressed with Sands last year even though he had amazing minor league numbers before coming up. I think the dodgers gave him a fair shot too. Also I don't see the dodgers possibly swapping out Loney. I think they consider him one of their key guys still with Kemp and Ethier. I believe 2 seasons ago Loney led the dodgers in RBIS? Last season was just a fluke for Ethier and Loney. Ethier is already destroying in spring training, not that it means all the much.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oscar15 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm

I had Sands for a while last year as well. He never lived up to the hype.

If you are in a large league (like 18 teams with 24 man rosters) probably worth holding on to.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 pm

One of my favorite guys in the minors last year, but he has struggled in the bigs and has struggled mightily in ST. As as already been said, he doesn't have a starting spot available for him. Dodgers signed Juan Rivera to play LF (don't know why), and Ethier in RF and Loney at 1B. I'll assume he'll spell those 3 guys throughout the first half unless someone goes down with an injury. But honestly, I'd rather see him playing everyday in AAA than sit on the bench and play twice a week in the bigs, if that.

However, this is a guy I would keep an eye on in the second half. Unless the Dodgers are in the playoff hunt in late July, I fully expect them to trade Ethier. He is in a contract year, and they just paid Matt Kemp big money, so unlikely they will pay big money to lockup Ethier. When he gets dealt, that will open up an everyday spot in the OF for Sands.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Billhiggins49 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Watch out for those Pacific Coast League super sluggers!
Billhiggins49
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates