Just drafted, how'd I do? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just drafted, how'd I do? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just drafted, how'd I do? WHIR

Postby saemick » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Just had my 12-team H2H draft.

Stat categories:
batters: H, RBI, HR, SB, AVG, OPS
pitchers: W, K, ERA, WHIP, QS, SV

Start:
1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, IF, UTL
SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P,

How'd I do? where do I need improvement (had the 1st pick in the draft)?

1. Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)
2. Justin Upton (Ari - OF)
3. David Wright (NYM - 3B)
4. Jay Bruce (Cin - OF)
5. Dan Uggla (Atl - 2B)
6. Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP)
7. David Price (TB - SP)
8. Gio Gonzalez (Was - SP)
9. Mark Reynolds (Bal - 1B,3B)
10. Ryan Madson (Cin - RP)
11. Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)
12. Sergio Santos (Tor - RP)
13. Jesus Montero (Sea - Util)
14. Dee Gordon (LAD - SS)
15. Peter Bourjos (LAA - OF)
16. Javy Guerra (LAD - RP)
17. Kendrys Morales (LAA - 1B,OF)
18. Mike Minor (Atl - SP)
19. Brad Peacock (Oak - SP)
20. Bryce Harper (Was - OF)
21. Brett Myers (Hou - SP)
22. Brandon Belt (SF - 1B,OF)
23. Daniel Bard (Bos - RP)
24. Ricky Nolasco (Mia - SP)
25. Ryan Doumit (Min - C)
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Just drafted, how'd I do? WHIR

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 pm

I really like it. The only worries I'd have are Wins (tough to predict) and maybe batting average, mainly due to drafting Uggla and Reynolds. Not so sure I would have drafted Reynolds since guys like Morales fell so far. If you could flip him to some other believer that might help your average stay aloft.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah Reynolds will destroy your avg. 9th round? Maybe it is me, but I would not want the stiff in the 15th let alone the 9th but like I said, I hate Reynolds as a player.

I am also not so sure I would have gone rounds 6,7, 8 with all SPs, followed by Reynolds and then went 10, 11, and 12 with pitchers either (granted 2 of the last 3 were closers). Seems like you went a little pitcher happy in the mid rounds and ended up settling for Dee Gordon at SS and Reynolds at IF as a result imo. You hedged Reynolds with Morales and Belt...which isn't that bad but I would have grabbed a more reliable IF in a league this shallow and forgone one of the numberous starters you got. The league is pretty shallow with only 9 on offense and 8 on pitching. You start 3 SPs, 3 Ps and 2 Rps...and have 8 Sps and 4 RPs rostered. I know H2h can be a streamers delight but how much real value are the likes of Myers and Nolasco really going to yield you?
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 660)

Postby saemick » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Yeah Reynolds will destroy your avg. 9th round? Maybe it is me, but I would not want the stiff in the 15th let alone the 9th but like I said, I hate Reynolds as a player.

I am also not so sure I would have gone rounds 6,7, 8 with all SPs, followed by Reynolds and then went 10, 11, and 12 with pitchers either (granted 2 of the last 3 were closers). Seems like you went a little pitcher happy in the mid rounds and ended up settling for Dee Gordon at SS and Reynolds at IF as a result imo. You hedged Reynolds with Morales and Belt...which isn't that bad but I would have grabbed a more reliable IF in a league this shallow and forgone one of the numberous starters you got. The league is pretty shallow with only 9 on offense and 8 on pitching. You start 3 SPs, 3 Ps and 2 Rps...and have 8 Sps and 4 RPs rostered. I know H2h can be a streamers delight but how much real value are the likes of Myers and Nolasco really going to yield you?

Yeah, i know Reynolds will kill my BA, but he still hits bombs and is 3B eligible. With back-to-back picks, it was tough to not reach for certain players since there's 23 picks till my turn comes up again.

That being said, maybe I'm higher on Reynolds than others, but if he can hit 35+ homers, whether on my team or for trade bait; he still has value.

If I were to deal him, who would you target for a trade to help my squad?

as for the pitching, I went all hitting early, then loaded up on pitching in the middle rounds. Myers is still a closer and will get me saves...as for Nolasco, he was basically a last round flyer that i figured I'd take a chance on.

what positions / categories should i be targeting via FA's or trades here?

thanks
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kins80 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree that Reynolds was taken too early. I like the Montero pick though, esp if he picks up catcher eligbility. I also liked the all hitting with the early picks.

You're weak in your third OF spot, so I would try to trade Reynolds for something there. I would also drop Minor, because he just doesn't project well.

Please help: viewtopic.php?t=441051
10 team H2H Keeper, 13 keeps, 25 rostered
R, SB, HR, RBI, SLG, OBP, K
ERA, WHIP, K/9, K:BB, TBA, S, QS

H: Posey, Texiera, Aaron Hill, A. Ramirez, Arod, V. Wells, Stubbs, Konerko, B Harper
P: Carpenter, Chapman, B Wilson, C. Perez
kins80
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:01 am

saemick wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Yeah Reynolds will destroy your avg. 9th round? Maybe it is me, but I would not want the stiff in the 15th let alone the 9th but like I said, I hate Reynolds as a player.

Yeah, i know Reynolds will kill my BA, but he still hits bombs and is 3B eligible. With back-to-back picks, it was tough to not reach for certain players since there's 23 picks till my turn comes up again.

That being said, maybe I'm higher on Reynolds than others, but if he can hit 35+ homers, whether on my team or for trade bait; he still has value.

If I were to deal him, who would you target for a trade to help my squad?

as for the pitching, I went all hitting early, then loaded up on pitching in the middle rounds. Myers is still a closer and will get me saves...as for Nolasco, he was basically a last round flyer that i figured I'd take a chance on.

what positions / categories should i be targeting via FA's or trades here?

thanks

Some people value Reynolds for that...I am just not one of them. He will definitely hit some HRs, but he is challenged to get to .230 and is just a complete avg destroyer (though he gets some walks). It is just not worth the grief imo. You can target whoever you think is par value for him on the draft board, but I think your biggest hole is at IF and trading him is not going to solve that. I just would have rather gotten another player in the Michael Young or Cuddyer or Berkman range over one of those SPs you grabbed in rounds 6, 7, 8. Or even a Swisher type a few rounds later since he is 1b eligible inmost leagues. You would be in a lot better shape from a value perspective and a lineup perspective imo than being stuck with Reynolds or hoping Morales can play or that Belt can develop this year. My 2 cents.

If it were me, I would look to unload one of your mid-tier SPs and try to address the IF slot with a safer pick. Someone like Gio Gonzalez for a decent IF. Losing Gonzalez will not kill your staff and it will get Reynolds out of your starting lineup. If he has a good year or Morales is healthy, more the merrier and you can trade one later in the season for something you need. My 2 cents prefaced again with the caveat that I hate Reynolds in fantasy.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 660)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions