H2H 8 team drafting advice wanted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

H2H 8 team drafting advice wanted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H 8 team drafting advice wanted

Postby pvhawkeye » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:28 am

I'm in a custom, 8-team league. I've managed to finish #1 in season standings the past 2 years, but I would owe it to me being very active adding/dropping players instead of my draft ability. In fact, I'd say my drafting has definitely had its mistakes. I've read up on some drafting strategies and advice for this season (just my 3rd season).
A bit of strategy that really struck me was loading up in certain categories for H2H so you're almost guaranteed to win the majority of categories, even if it means almost certainly losing the remaining. What would you guys recommend with the following settings?

8 Teams - Live Online Standard Draft - "Snake" style
H2H by categories - ie you go 9-3 , 5-7 etc each week and not 1-0 or 0-1
Categories:
Batting: Runs, Hits, HR, RBI, SB, OPS
Pitching: QS, Saves, Holds, ERA, WHIP, K/9
No maximum acquisitions per week/season. 40 IP minimum per week (easy when you see player slots below)
Slots: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
My general strategy would be to use the P slot for an extra RP, have 3 "savers" and 3 "holders", or 4:2
4 of 8 teams make playoffs

Under the strategy I'm asking about, when drafting I would aim to crush 7 of the 12 categories, even if it meant "giving up" the other 5. When I think about it, it may hurt my overall season standings using this approach (since others may be winning 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 more), but 4 of 8 teams make our playoffs- and when you're in the playoffs all that matters is who advances. I've heard advice about paying no regard to pitchers, especially RP's in shallow leagues (shallow as it gets, 8 teams all players universe). What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks a lot for helping a beginner out!
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H 8 team drafting advice wanted

Postby thecubsyear » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:36 am

I've read up on the "win 7/12 each week, etc." but what scares me is going into the playoffs with a team set up like that. There's one thing to punting Saves and Steals, etc., but to punt 5 cats? Does that really improve your overall team that much more than punting just 2?
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pvhawkeye » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:40 am

Yeah, the past 2 years (my first 2 years playing), I've taken the simple approach of trying to draft a well-balanced team- making sure I note talent-scarce positions and not reaching (for example, if nearly all teams drafted a 2B and I've yet to draft mine, wait and don't reach since they're less likely to draft a backup before filling other starting slots). The "win majority categories" thing seems like something that could easily backfire, but was asking what the forum thought. Thanks for the reply!
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thecubsyear » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:46 am

Wow, just took another look at your league setup:

I'd go crazy with offense, then get some top middle relief guys. get some serviceable SP to reach your innings min, but with solid RP you can easily take WHIP, ERA, Holds, and K/9 every week. I wouldn't even bother with closers either. Then you also bash on offense.
thecubsyear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pvhawkeye » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:53 am

thecubsyear wrote:Wow, just took another look at your league setup:

I'd go crazy with offense, then get some top middle relief guys. get some serviceable SP to reach your innings min, but with solid RP you can easily take WHIP, ERA, Holds, and K/9 every week. I wouldn't even bother with closers either. Then you also bash on offense.

Yeah, that's what I've noticed doing this setup the past 2 years. The only factors that kinda balance the punting pitching is the fact that you have 5 SP's and 6 RP's going per team - so 40-48 Starters (not that big of a deal, streaming starters is easy with many #2 and #3's on WW), and 40-56 RP's taken (harder to find solid numbers, usually all closers and setup men taken). Last years draft, I reached for SP's, thinking I can dominate pitching since everyone usually goes offense-first for drafts. I drafted Lincecum, Halladay, Price, Sabathia, and Weaver (what value he was). I ended up trading away Halladay and Sabathia for Pujols and some other sluggers, but I regretted the whole pitching mindset I had.
Also.. most teams last year reserved 1-2 bench spots for extra SP's, so 8-16 extra SP not on WW to account for, but still decent numbers to be had on any given week.
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pvhawkeye » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Bump- any more words of wisdom for me? Seems like a setup many of you veterans would easily create a draft plan for?
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am

I make sure I load up on bats and balance. Never reach for relievers, top MRP are available even after the draft. In fact in an 8 teamer, guys like Gavin Floyd, Ricky Nolasco, Justin Masterson might not even get drafted and you can do some trading and open up the back of your rotation for guys like this.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions