Punting What? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting What?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting What?

Postby Hogger1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok, this might sounds crazy, but I'm considering an experiment where I punt batting average. I wouldn't normally consider punting a category, but looking at the keepers I have gave me this idea. I have Granderson, Stanton, Texeira, Crawford and Lincecum. More importantly, our league is a 7X5 league. We count doubles and triples as well as all the standard 5X5 categories, so punting a category doesn't hurt quite as much if you can do good in all the other categories. Now the upside to this strategy is that I can draft productive players that others avoid (because of their BA) and get them significantly later than players with similar production. This would allow me to draft pitching earlier than I normally would. Theoretically I would have a great pitching staff and be good in all offensive categories other than batting average.

I can then target players such as:
BJ Upton
Mark Reynolds
Arencibia
Chris Young
Stubbs
Zobrist
Howard
Gardner
etc, etc....

Any opinions on how this would work?
Hogger1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punting What?

Postby silverZ » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 pm

In a 7x5 league I could see this being viable. Those speedy guys with bad avg should give you a major boost for triples. I think it could work, and with those keepers it's worth a shot. Unless Crawford and Tex suddenly remember how to hit for avg you're not going to be competitive in that category anyway.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Could easily work. Average, while some say is under-rated, is easy to punt. With SBs there is always somebody to find so they're not valued very highly, meaning you can get them cheap and shouldn't punt it. You're not going to find many decent guys on waivers for batting average (maybe raw BA, but they usually don't get enough ABs to make a big enough impact) so I think a little more weight is put on it. There are also tons of guys with lots of triples and low BA. Doubles, not so much, but it shouldn't be too hard. Keep in mind when you're drafting to not just ignore guys with a good BA. If theyr'e better all-around don't just avoid them because of a high BA which you feel is useless. The obvious reason is that they could be better in the other categories anyway, but you can trade a guy to a team looking for a BA boost.

Last season I punted BA in one league mid-way through ouit of neccesity and came within a shorthair of 1st place. With the extra two categories to minimize the imapct of getting 1 point in BA you should have a good shot. make sure you lock up thsoe pitching categories though. Everybody is gonna be going hard for offense since there are 7 categories versus 5, so you should get some nice bargains.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Hogger1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 pm

silverZ wrote:In a 7x5 league I could see this being viable. Those speedy guys with bad avg should give you a major boost for triples. I think it could work, and with those keepers it's worth a shot. Unless Crawford and Tex suddenly remember how to hit for avg you're not going to be competitive in that category anyway.

Right, Austin Jackson is another low average/high speed guy who hits lots of triples.
Hogger1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:01 pm

You can tank any stat but they are interrelated so it will hurt you in more than one area. If you tank AVG you usually tank R/RBI to a degree because you usually lose RBI and OBP when you can't hit for a good AVG. If you take two 35 HR guys, one with a .250 AVG and one with a .300 the .300 is almost always going to have more R/RBI barring a huge gap in lineup/walks etc. Same with tanking HR, you usually somewhat tank RBI by association. If you tank SB you end up tanking R somewhat, etc.

My big problem with ignoring AVG is low AVG types who get off to slower than normal starts are the kind of players who lose their jobs a lot, so it carries extra risk over tanking something like SB. They also get forced into platoons a lot which kills their counting stats.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ayebatter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 am

I've never tried intentionally punting average, it just happens naturally. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 am

ayebatter wrote:I've never tried intentionally punting average, it just happens naturally. :-D

I second that. :-D
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 pm

A league with doubles and triples as categories?

Dexter Fowler... :-L :-L :-L
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:59 am

Considering your roster and league settings, I think that's a great idea. Just make sure you have an advantage in the other categories as punting obviously puts a little more pressure on you to dominate those. But I think its more than feasible
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers