2012 darft Analysis! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

2012 darft Analysis!

Moderator: rotoquest

2012 darft Analysis!

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:17 pm

1. What was your draft strategy?

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3?

6. The best pick that you made

7. The worst pick that you made

8. What player is the biggest key to your success?

9. Your team's weak/strong points?

10. If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 darft Analysis!

Postby Third Day » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 am

Take best player available, try not to reach.

Shockers taking Matt Moore in the 8th could be huge.

Me taking Hosmer in the 4th. My 2012 man crush.

I like Thomas and RBV's teams. And you have to give props to the returning champ oompah.

I'm a BA Christian: I can't tell someone that their team sucks.

Like Jordan Zimmerman in the 11th. Could be better than Strasberg.

Would like a redo on Ben Revere.

Hosmer. Need him to nut up.

I like my offense/pitching balance, might be short on power.

No one. Like the team I have.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby thomasps32 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Ok, I'm gonna take a stab at this, here we go:

1. What was your draft strategy? I tried to go best available through first 4 rounds, with an obvious attmept to balance out my offense with 20/20 types in rounds 6-10

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? I really couldn't believe Albert Pujols went 6th overall; I guess some guys are down on him a bit.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Well, I picked Mike, err, Giancarlo Stanton with pick 2.4, which makes me extremely bullish on him. I really need him to live up to the hype this year. hopefully 40 HR and 110 RBI, but nothing less than 30/100

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Me, Rock, and Oscar

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? Jed, Third Day, Rotoquest

6. The best pick that you made? Hmmm, maybe Cole Hamels

7. The worst pick that you made? Ummm, maybe Cole Hamels

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? Giancarlo Stanton and Jesus Montero

9. Your team's weak/strong points? Hmmm, SVs, lack of power?

10. If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take? ALways go with the Rock.

Good luck guys....I hope I beat you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thomasps32
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:36 am

Beat oscar. I planned to do so by picking the 10th spot in the draft, figuring I would take 2 of Pedroia, Upton, Elsbury, Longo, Cargo, and Fielder. When it came around I figured I wanted to fill at least one scarce position, so I figured on taking Pedroia first, then whoever came back. I guess I'm ok with a Longo/Pedo combo, but I really have a feeling come October I'll be regretting not taking Cargo. After that I didn't really plan to fill SS so early but it just worked out that way. Nobody seemed to want pitching early, so I was pretty happy to get Weaver and Felix to anchor my rotation.

Why did we let Pujols slip to 6th? Other drafts are laughing at us. There were several good values in the later rounds.

Mike Stanton over Cargo, Kinsler, Tex and the 3 aces was an eye-opener. Carlos Santana went quite a bit early for a one-catcher league. But as Corey Hart would say, never surrender an opportunity to bash an oscar pick. Dexter Fowler in the 12th round? His ADP is the 20th round. I think in my other league that has drafted, he went undrafted. At the time he was taken I think I counted 20 or so available outfielders I would have taken above him. Well let's see, here's 20:
Code: Select all
Jeff Francoeur
Angel Pagan
Melky Cabrera
Carlos Lee
Torii Hunter
Alex Rios
Josh Willingham
Matt Joyce
Colby Rasmus
Jason Kubel
Carlos Quentin
Brandon Belt
Jose Tabata
Austin Jackson
Coco Crisp
Martin Prado
Lorenzo Cain
JD Martinez
Delmon Young
Jason Bay

I always think I'm gonna win. :-B I certainly like this year's team better than last year's abomination. That Brit's got a pretty good looking group again. I'm not sure what to make of Oop's team, it's like what happens when a hipster drafts. I bet he was a little disappointed Pujols fell in his lap because everyone already likes Pujols. He's loaded with breakout/bounceback candidates, if the ball bounces right he could be in the hunt.

How does thomas so reliably finish in the bottom 3? I see another in his future. I think several questionable picks will drop oscar back near the bottom where he belongs. Many times in the draft I admired TD's picks, but the end result just doesn't look as good as I thought it might. Ramos, Hosmer, Uggla, Hardy, Prado, Sanchez and Weeks are hardly an intimidating infield. Outfield is great, pitching looks only middle of the road. I just can't see this being the year.

Butler will go nuts this year. Yahoo changing their eligibility to let me play him at first is spectacular.

Maybe Ryan Howard if he completely lays an egg. We had a big OF run after that and I missed several great late round OF's.

Corey Hart. He needs to stay healthy, and I'm counting on him picking up a good amount of those RBI's Prince left.

I'm a little weak in HR even by my own projections. But I have a lot of younger guys that could be doping. I didn't chase K's beyond Weaver and Felix, so I could be a light there.

I'm liking RBV's crew. He took several guys I was hoping to have.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 am

I like taking the best value available as many times as I can. Originally, I was going to take hitters for the first 5 rounds, but it didn’t turn out that way when it got back to me at #24 and halladay & verlander were both still available. The hitting value would be approximately the same when it got back to me at #48 so I scarfed them both up

I see many solid picks, but as far as steals, maybe Ervin Santana in the 20th round.

Everybody reached at one point or another, but Ortiz in the 7th was early.

The teams with the least injuries and make the best waiver wire moves.

The 3 with the most injuries that do not pay attention to the waiver wire.

According to the votes I received, many liked Luebka in the 15th round. I like Tim Hudson in the 25th round. I hope I feel the same way by the allstar break.

Taking Austin Jackson or Aaron Hill instead of a closer.

I am really counting on Lawrie & Jennings to produce big. They were a big part of the decision to go halladay & verlander instead of wright and an outfielder in rounds 2 & 3

My weaknesses are going to be saves & avg, while my strengths are starting pitching for wins & K’s. For hitting I should do well in runs & steals.

I’m pretty satisfied with mine even though I screwed up on relief pitching, but oopah seems to have achieved good balance. I think the 3 autopicks helped him. :-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:46 pm

To be the best, like no one ever was. Honestly after the first round I really had no strategy, I was intent on drafting Tulowitzki with pick 5 and I was sticking with that strategy unless Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun fell there. However I was not expecting Pujols to drop so him being available made my decision extremely difficult, but I decided not to waver. After getting Tulowitzki my strategy was essentialy bargain shopping and simply taking the best available player. I think my Michael Young selection exemplifies this,

Pujols at 6 is the obvious steal of the draft, but asides that i'd reckon to say that group of outfielders in the 18th and alot of the pitching taken in the 19th+ rounds were some extremely good picks.

Hosmer in the 4th was the first true reach, I feel like Matt Moore ahead of Hanson, Wilson and Wainwright is a little bit of a reach but nothing extreme.

I have no idea

who knows

Getting Michael Young in the 6th was huge, Young is always dependable for a good season and he's extremely utilitarian as I can use him at 2B and 3B. Freddie Freeman in the 11th was hard to pass up and he sort of fell into my arms.I liked getting Chris Perez in the 17th alot, I think he'll be a good 3rd closer for me. I was ecstatic about getting Morrow, Holland and Masterson in the 14th, 19th and 22nd rounds respectively. I think those guys fill out my pitching staff very nicely and each guy holds serious upside. I think having dependable guys like Haren and Cliff Lee enabled me to roll the dice on guys like Morrow which is a luxury. I liked getting Kubel in the 18th and I think his move to the desert will be beneficial. I think he'll bang 25 homers and drive in 90 runs.

Probably Jemile Weeks in the 12th, I have no idea what to expect from him and it wouldn't surprise me if he fizzled at the start of the year and wound up in AAA until September. Then again the guy has 30 steal potential and my team is strapped on speed and AVG, i'm hoping he can put together a nice year but i'm not too hopeful. Vernon Wells in the 21st is a harmless pick but he could end up being a cancer.

Probably Tulowitzki, if he gets hurt my season is over. Actually if any of my "safe" picks get hurt or bust my season is probably over, that means Young, Teixeira, Haren, Lee or Ichiro. Cruz and Posey could be health liabilities also .

My pitching is probably a strength, I think Lee and Haren are 2 of the more reliable pitchers you can draft and Hanson, Morrow and Holland have a lot of potential. I also have 3 great closers and I think Bailey will have a tremendous season. My offense is pretty weak though, and more specifically my outfield corps. is downright abysmal. There's alot of question marks all over my offense and I could have some serious struggles with all offensive categories. Cruz and Posey could be injury risks, Ichiro is aging, Beckham and Weeks are unreliable and I have no clue what to expect out of Rasmus, Boesch and Brantley.

I like my team, I think I did a good job of balancing safe picks with risky picks.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stoggie10 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Try to draft as many early bats as possible. I have always taken pitchers latre on in this draft due to the lower innings limit but it appears that the rest of the league has noticed this as well. When i did draft a pitcher i wanted to make sure they had a high dom. I usually find myself near the bottom in K's every year so i wanted to change that this year.

Pujols is an obvious steal even if its the 6th pick. I was about to crap myself if I got him at 7. The other steal I would say is Derek Jeter at 162. I know he is aged but come on it's Jeter.

Proabably Matt Moore with pick 90 and Yoenis Cespedes with pick 138. I made both of these picks and was sick of players coming off the board that I wanted before I wanted them.

Roll the dice

Not me

Could be Matt Moore and Yoenis Cespedes.

Could be Matt Moore and Yoenis Cespedes. I

A whole slew of players. Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Jimmy Rollins and Jusin Morneau. I am really banking on them being healthy and producing like they are capable of doing. If they suck then so do the Shockers.
Pretty balanced as long as those clowns stay healthy.
10. If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take? No idea.
stoggie10
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby GIANTbeerdog » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 pm

BPA Rounds 1-6. After that fill needs with the emphasis on position players. Strategy to field a strong position team, have at least 2 aces, 3 good closers, and take chances on upside pitching to round out the staff.

Cargo at the 17th pick - with full health, a 5 tool top 10 producer.

Liked Luebke at 15.169 and Duda at 18.211

A few stood out: Santana at 3.25, Hosmer at 4.37, and Fowler at 12.143

As always depends on health and a little luck...

Again, depends on health and luck, but probably Oscar...

Cargo 2.17
Wainwright 9.14
Mauer 10.143

All well below ADP

A couple reaches with Reynolds at 8.89 and Goldy at 12.137. Picks based on positional need and looking to add power on offense, may be a detriment to avg.

Need a couple of my upside pitching picks to pan out - Bard, Sale, Ogundo - to remain competitive in the P categories.

Pitching may be a little light in Wins and Ks, Offense may be a little light in power but have speed to burn

Like this team - looking forward to see how it does.
GIANTbeerdog
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Try to draft as many early bats as possible. I have always taken pitchers latre on in this draft due to the lower innings limit

What Pitching limits? 8-o Didn't realize that--Oops!
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby jed757 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

TheRock wrote:1. What was your draft strategy?

Not to tip my hand to Roto, with whom I have a draft next week (haha). Take the players I want, MDP/ADP be damned (but respected).

Nominees: Gallardo at 74; Adam Jones at 85; Verlander & Hallady at 24/25; Mauer at 113.

Perhaps Asdrubal at 58; Hosmer at 37; Yoenis at 138; Markakis at 98.

Oscar, Stoggie (if healthy), Roto, RBV -- as you can see, I'm not very good at math.

I'll bet I can take up three spaces.

McCann at 83.

Victorino at 62.

Danny Espinosa.

WHIP and ERA, per one spreadsheet.

I thought thomas and I had a similar draft strategy, but I admired that RBV's strategy seemed totally different.
jed757
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 37)

Next

Return to Leftovers League