D. Jennings, Starlin Castro or Matt Moore as 1st pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

D. Jennings, Starlin Castro or Matt Moore as 1st pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D. Jennings, Starlin Castro or Matt Moore as 1st pick?

Postby Gmunu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm

This is a follow up to my last question. Assuming I keep Votto, Teixeira, Lawrie, Sandoval, Strasburg, and Grienke, who should I take with my first pick? I know the owner of Jennings is not going to keep him or Castro, Hosmer, and Beachey and I will be letting Moore go into the pool of players too. A couple of others who will be available are Michael Young (who would give me multi position availability besides 2B) and Crawford. I don't know who will be there when I pick but I am trying to formulate some kind of draft plan. As always, thank you for your advice.

Just for the record, I think the battle in this league will be for 2nd place. The guy who is cutting Jennings, Beachy, Hosmer and Castro has M. Cabrera, M, Kemp, CarGo, R. Zimmermann, and Verlander as his keepers.
Gmunu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: D. Jennings, Starlin Castro or Matt Moore as 1st pick?

Postby MaudDib » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:10 pm

I hate that you already have two 1B because I think you have to take Hosmer here. He is easily the best of the bunch and the most likely to move to the top of draft boards for next year. Moore would be my second choice. Either of these guys could make you a competitor for the #1 spot. The other owners keepers are good but they are far from perfect and a number of them could see regression this year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:12 pm

You are keeping 2 1B and 2 3B, so that kind of limits your flexibility. Assuming they go into the CI and DH/Util slots. Both Castro and Jennings are positions of need and my top 2. I'd go Castro first.

please help...viewtopic.php?t=440675
Strike Out ALS!
wheels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kidsilk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I agree with Maudib. YOu have to take Hosmer. He has the most upside of them all. Then look to trade one or two of your first base talent for positions you need. IF you don't want to go with this plan then I would pick Jennings.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=440664
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1232)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Hosmer
Moore
Young
Castro
Beachy
Jennings
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Beeblebrox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I think you have to take Hosmer too....then after the draft, deal Tex to fill in one of your holes elsewhere, probably OF.

That would leave you with Votto/Hosmer as a very nice pair of 1B's to have in a keeper league for years to come.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 pm

I like Hosmer the best of the bunch too, but my reply was based on your question, which didn't include him. If you can deal Tex for a position of need, go that route, otherwise 3 1B dont do you a whole lot of good unless the starting roster supports that.
Strike Out ALS!
wheels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gmunu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 pm

The starting roster does support my keeping the 4 CIs. We have 2 Util and 1 CI in the starting lineup. I am surprised at the support Hosmer is getting. I had not personally ranked him that high. If he is as valuable as you guys suggest I will definately consider grabbing him if he is there on my turn. Our league doesn't allow trades
pre-draft so I can't do much with what I have until we have drafted. I may be able to work out an agreement with the guy who has the #1 pick though and let someone out of my lineup in turn for a future trade. Just a possibility. I don't have any idea who else will be made available either. There have only been a few owners who have declared their keepers so far. We have an interesting league, most of the owners are very competitive but we have one guy, a Tiger fan, who kept Brennan Boesch and Doug Fister over Michael Young. I know that they are younger but that was foolish IMHO.
Gmunu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby CadensDad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Hosmer or Castro

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Gotta be Hosmer.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions