Help needed for new commissioner of keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help needed for new commissioner of keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Help needed for new commissioner of keeper

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I just provide information :-) In all honestly, even if we don't satisfy somebody's needs, I want to understand why. We can't do everything, and we certainly can't do everything at once, but it helps us to understand where our product is coming up short so we can prioritize things going forward.

If you made a column for Salaries and Contracts, there would be no need for anyone to go to CBS. That is all you have to do to take all of their customers and advertisers.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GibandLou » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 am

So if I understand the Yahoo site, and the Yahoo admin/poster here, the Yahoo site (which we've used for our first 3 seasons) will track the ROUND at which a keeper is kept, if we desire to do so? We do our draft "offline," so that element isn't an issue. But we want to track the keeper status during the season.

We've used keepers since we began, but we're now exploring options to modify our keeper system. My preference is to keep the player at the round drafted, with a max of 3 years of being kept. I'm definitely looking for other ideas / options for how to do things.

What do most leagues do with regard to keepers who are traded or waived?
GibandLou
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 am

GibandLou wrote:What do most leagues do with regard to keepers who are traded or waived?

If a player is traded, the contract years do not reset. If they are waived, the years do reset.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby GibandLou » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:29 am

bigmck wrote:
GibandLou wrote:What do most leagues do with regard to keepers who are traded or waived?

If a player is traded, the contract years do not reset. If they are waived, the years do reset.

So part of a keeper's relative value is the status of his "contract" or "keeper status"? I like that.
GibandLou
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Yeah. On our site (Yahoo!), you can associate a numeric "cost" with all keepers. The commish has to put these in by hand, because different leagues do all sorts of different wacky things for cost. We do not allow you do associate costs with guys who aren't keepers; I'm beginning to wonder if that is something we should revisit. If you do an offline draft, you could mark every player as a keeper if you wanted, I suppose.

As for when costs clear. We (Yahoo!) have a feature where you can designate certain conditions that clear a player's keeper status (and thus stop displaying a cost). You can choose any or all of:
- If he is traded
- If he is dropped
- If he is dropped and clears waivers

We offer the first, but my league sure doesn't do that, and I can't really imagine why a league would; it seems extremely exploitable. My personal league used to use the option where a players cost resets if he is dropped and clears waivers, but we stopped this year. There was some controversy when a team playing for the current year would say, "Player X, who is valuable but too expensive to protect, isn't going to help me win this year. So I'm dropping him." The rest of the league then gets to play chicken; of course you don't want him at the high cost, but if you don't put in a claim, and nobody else puts in a claim, then his cost is going to reset to 0 in the middle of the night one day, and there is a race to pick up this guy who just suddenly became much more valuable. Rather than deal with that drama anymore, we just decided not to reset their cost midseason at all. The only time we reset a player cost now is if a guy goes unprotected at the end of a season.

And to close the loop on what Yahoo! provides, we never act on or try to enforce the costs in any way. We just display them for informational purposes.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)

Postby rnunley441 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am

Wow. I didn't realize the amount of replies this thread had. I convinced my league to go over to Yahoo, and it was exactly what we needed. The only issue I have is that I dont have the ability to make the playoff matchups two weeks each, while I would like that option, I'd rather have the keeper value that ESPN doesn't offer. Thanks for your help.
rnunley441
T-Ball Trainer

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner