Help needed for new commissioner of keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help needed for new commissioner of keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help needed for new commissioner of keeper

Postby rnunley441 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm in desperate need of help of how to run my keeper league draft.

I started a fantasy baseball keeper league last year, and after reading some feedback on the best way to run a keeper league, I decided to go with the system where you give up a pick in the coming draft earlier that the round that you drafted your keeper in. It is a 12 keeper league and I set a cap that each team if able to keep four first round value keepers. Free agents would carry a 14th round value and descending from there..15,16,17. I set my league up in ESPN and we went on with the season.

Now we are getting close to the keeper lock date and I am throughly confused on how I am going to keep the integrity of the value for each player since we host on ESPN. ESPN does not allow me to assign each draft pick to a certain round. The 12 keepers that each team picks are automatically inserted as the first 12 rounds of the draft. I am trying to figure out a way, without doing an offline draft, to keep the value for each player.

I first thought I would be able to start at round 13 and for each player a team throws back into the player pool, but that doesn't seem to be able to work since the draft order should be from worst to first, not based upon where the player was selected the previous season.

So my questions for you knowledgeable fellows are – Does anyone run a league similar to this on ESPN? If so how do you handle the keepers? OR Does anyone who doesn't run a league like this have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I can go deeper into what exact problems I think I am going to run into if need be.

I thought about switching over to CBS, but am having trouble talking guys into forking over the money for the league fee. I'm glad I found this forum seems like most people on here really know their stuff, thanks in advance.

Ryan
rnunley441
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help needed for new commissioner of keeper

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:03 pm

ESPN is only good for straight draft leagues. Anything else and it does not support it. The only thing you can do is keep track of it on a spreadsheet and email them to the league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 pm

At Yahoo! we let you slot keeper players into any individual picks. Just sayin'...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby andrewkeefe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:23 am

Well, if the host site doesn't support it- then it has to be done offline or manually. So, espn is not an option.

CBS will also support draft manipulations, and I've had a lot of luck with their sites and their customer service (quick response). The way I got my league to switch from espn, is to argue that their hosting is flexible enough to satisfy our league. And, that stupid espn insider fee (premium content, like regular stats) can just go toward league fees on CBS where the content is open access.

Maybe its just me, but I don't know of a "free" keeper-facilitated league. Thats what you are paying for...
andrewkeefe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm

andrewkeefe wrote:
Maybe its just me, but I don't know of a "free" keeper-facilitated league. Thats what you are paying for...

So "keeper facilitated league" can mean a lot of different things. For my education, what is it in particular we (Yahoo!) don't offer at this point that leads you to say we are not a free keeper-facilitated league site?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
andrewkeefe wrote:

So "keeper facilitated league" can mean a lot of different things. For my education, what is it in particular we (Yahoo!) don't offer at this point that leads you to say we are not a free keeper-facilitated league site?

I believe he is referring to a site that has a Salary and Contract columns for Keepers.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

bigmck wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
andrewkeefe wrote:

I believe he is referring to a site that has a Salary and Contract columns for Keepers.

Depending on how a league uses those, we may or may not. On Yahoo!:

- A commish can associate a cost with keeper players
- Those costs are displayed throughout the site, including the trade flow

- A commish cannot associate a cost with non-keeper players
- We do not have a similar but distinct column for contracts; just one numeric value
- We don't do any sort of enforcement or automated maintenance of that column. I guess that isn't 100% true; a league can be configured to remove keeper status if a player is traded, is dropped, and/or is dropped and clears waivers
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

go get em Genie :-b

[loyal yahoo user]
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I just provide information :-) In all honestly, even if we don't satisfy somebody's needs, I want to understand why. We can't do everything, and we certainly can't do everything at once, but it helps us to understand where our product is coming up short so we can prioritize things going forward.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

copy how cbs does salaries, contracts, and year round access for free. that is the only reason i play/pay cbs for that league

dont copy anything espn does
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner