Rookie Draft...WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rookie Draft...WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rookie Draft...WHIR

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 pm

I subscribe to your thinking on the guys ready to come up approach. While Machado and Profar are enticing young SS, they are probably a few seasons away. My current SS keeper is Tulowitzki, so I can afford to wait on either. I am reluctant since I made that mistake with Delmon Young back in '04 taking him over Prince Fielder. After 2 years of TB playing around with his Super 2 status he basically failed to live up to his 5-tool can't miss superstar status.

I can move Montero onto my roster after the regular draft and pick up another rookie as his replacement, but not before. The upside is that if he's having a great year you get his production, bad side is I lose him as a rookie keeper. The way it works in our league, if I leave Montero as my "protected rookie" and don't activate him, he will be a free keeper going into next season, in addition to the 9 (6POS/2SP/1RP) we are allotted. If I activate him, then he can only be kept as part of my 9 keepers. Last year I kept Kimbrel protected all season so he's be a freebie this year. It was tough to do, but had Mo and Putz as my every day closers. With Mo as my regaular RP keeper, Kimbrel will be a nice replacement at season's end.
Strike Out ALS!
wheels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Diabl61984 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

Rendon Teharan, and Cespedes
Diabl61984
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 am

wheels wrote:I subscribe to your thinking on the guys ready to come up approach. While Machado and Profar are enticing young SS, they are probably a few seasons away. My current SS keeper is Tulowitzki, so I can afford to wait on either. I am reluctant since I made that mistake with Delmon Young back in '04 taking him over Prince Fielder. After 2 years of TB playing around with his Super 2 status he basically failed to live up to his 5-tool can't miss superstar status.

I can move Montero onto my roster after the regular draft and pick up another rookie as his replacement, but not before. The upside is that if he's having a great year you get his production, bad side is I lose him as a rookie keeper. The way it works in our league, if I leave Montero as my "protected rookie" and don't activate him, he will be a free keeper going into next season, in addition to the 9 (6POS/2SP/1RP) we are allotted. If I activate him, then he can only be kept as part of my 9 keepers. Last year I kept Kimbrel protected all season so he's be a freebie this year. It was tough to do, but had Mo and Putz as my every day closers. With Mo as my regaular RP keeper, Kimbrel will be a nice replacement at season's end.

Who are your 9 keepers. It only makes sense to keep Montero protected if you don't need him but if he is a better keeper then don't ignore him this season just so you can keep him free a year from know. I would rather play for this year than hope for next year.

Saying that, with prospects you should take the best player, not the player who will most likely get called up. This will be your only shot to get one of Profar/Machado/Miller. These three are at the top of all draft boards for a reason and each one could be the top prospect if Harper/Trout get enough playing time this year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Except for Mo, all my keeper were either previous rookie keepers or I traded a former (Votto/Stanton/Uggla/Teixeira) rookie keeper to get them. I actually have 10 (plus Montero) this year because Kimbrel was a rookie keeper last year and goes on my roster as a freebie this year in lieu of my last round draft pick. If I leave Montero reserved all year, the same thing will happen to him next year, and possibly with whoever replaces Kimbrel if the get enough time in the bigs.

C J Montero (current rookie)
1B Pujols
2B Kinsler
3B Longoria
SS Tulowitzki
OF Kemp
OF CarGo
SP Sabathia
SP Lester
RP Rivera
RP Kimbrel (2011 rookie)
Strike Out ALS!
wheels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

wheels wrote:Except for Mo, all my keeper were either previous rookie keepers or I traded a former (Votto/Stanton/Uggla/Teixeira) rookie keeper to get them. I actually have 10 (plus Montero) this year because Kimbrel was a rookie keeper last year and goes on my roster as a freebie this year in lieu of my last round draft pick. If I leave Montero reserved all year, the same thing will happen to him next year, and possibly with whoever replaces Kimbrel if the get enough time in the bigs.

C J Montero (current rookie)
1B Pujols
2B Kinsler
3B Longoria
SS Tulowitzki
OF Kemp
OF CarGo
SP Sabathia
SP Lester
RP Rivera
RP Kimbrel (2011 rookie)

That looks very solid and you don't need any minor league players in the near future. I would try and get again one of the two SS in Profar or Machado as they are the best bet to be future top 30 players.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby amarlls » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:00 pm

I like Machado, then Rendon, then Cespedes. Thank you for your help with mine
amarlls
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Hammers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

thanks for your help on my post, but unfortunately I don't know enough about these guys to give you an honest answer.
Hammers Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jase44 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm

wheels wrote:We have 2 rookie/minor league keeper roster spots, which allows us to protect (extra keepers) these players until they no longer qualify as rookies per MLB guidelines. I currently have Jesus Montero as one of my rookies and need to replace Craig Kimbrel, who was my 2nd last season. The other carryovers from last season are Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Anthony Rizzo and Yonder Alonso, and are not available to be drafted. I have the #6 pick and it's pretty certain neither Yu Darvish or Matt Moore will fall to me. Except for Pujols (32) and Sabathia (31), my regular keepers are all in their mid to late 20's, so no immediate positional needs. If available, who should I take?

Gimme your top 3...

Anthony Rendon (WAS-3B)
Danny Hultzen (SEA-SP)
Devin Mesoraco (CIN-C) ;-D
Dylan Bundy (BLT-SP)
Gerrit Cole (PIT-SP)
Jacob Turner (DET-SP)
Jameson Taillon (PIT-SP)
Jarrod Parker (OAK-SP)
Jorge Soler (???-OF)
Julio Teheran (ATL-SP)
Jurickson Profar (TEX-SS) ;-D
Manny Banuelos (NYY-SP) ;-D
Manny Machado (BLT-SS) ;-D
Martin Perez (TEX-SP)
Nolan Arenado (COL-3B)
Shelby Miller (STL-SP) ;-D
Trevor Bauer (AZ-SP)
Tyler Skaggs (AZ-SP)
Will Myers (KC-OF)
Yoenis Cespedes (OAK-OF) ;-D

Leave a link...WHIR for sure ;-D

I like all of these guys and depends what you want. Cespedes could be biggest risk reward with paying early dividends and could manage 25HR in his first year...or could bust disappear and we never hear of him again
Jase44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Postby millerpark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Jurickson Profar (TEX-SS)
Manny Banuelos (NYY-SP)
Yoenis Cespedes (OAK-OF)

Help:
viewtopic.php?t=440691