Returning to Fantasy Baseball and need strategy advice! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Returning to Fantasy Baseball and need strategy advice!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Returning to Fantasy Baseball and need strategy advice!

Postby FrodoFraggins » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

I've been a member of fantasy football cafe but created a new account due to login issues. I haven't played fantasy baseball since the early 90's when I did it play by mail. I've decided to finally return and am in a league with a lot more stats than I'm used to. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed in terms of evaluating where pitchers belong in the draft. The scoring is rotisserie and the setup is as below. We currently only have 6 owners but I'm hoping we end up with at least 8.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

My main questions are:

1) How would you fill the roster of pitchers? Should I target something like 4 SP, 2 closers and 2 setup men?
2) How would you rank setup men versus closers? (Where do the top setup men start going before closers)
3) How would you rank relievers versus starters in this type of setup where I believe the relievers often have the better WHIP, BB's and ERA but fewer wins and k's.
3) When I look at typical top 100 or top 300 players overall, where will those ranks break in relation to this type of scoring system? That is, which positions, besides the obvious of setup relievers, will be under or overvalued.
4) My experience in the past was that hitters and closers were the more reliable to predict and starters were riskier. I tended to undervalue most starters, not the elites, to avoid the risk in the draft and planned on trading later to make up for missing areas. Is that still a fair assumption?

Thanks in advance. I decided to purchase RotoChamp and manually edit the projections for some players and entered my league rules but I'm not currently happy with their ranking of all the players in order.
FrodoFraggins
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Returning to Fantasy Baseball and need strategy advice!

Postby FrodoFraggins » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 pm

No one is able to offer advice?
FrodoFraggins
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 pm

You've got a pretty decent grasp, evidenced by the #4 point you make. Regarding your scoring system, very little changes with respect to the value of players. High-OPS players are often the most valuable anyway, so adding that as an offensive category only adjusts things slightly. Low AVG players who post high-OPS get a bump (think Jose Bautista last season or 2010, whichever season he bat .260 and not .300). Relievers become more valuable with the addition of Holds and BB both. In a Roto League like this, I would carry at least 6 relief pitchers, fill every RP and P slot with them (3 closers and 3 solid setup men for holds with good ratios and high K-Rates), and fill every single one of your bench spots with SPs. I'd value high-K, low-BB starters more so than usual and worry less about their ratios, as if you have the right relievers, you should get some relief in that department.

All of this said, if it ends up being a 6 team league, or even 8, it's going to essentially be a coin toss for me, as every team will be totally loaded.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 am

Find a different league. I know that sounds kind of snobby but it is the truth. An 8 team league with shallow rosters is so random that there is no way to offer you any real advice.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby FrodoFraggins » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks for the feedback, especially for filling the pitcher slots.

I'm sticking with the league because I'm doing it with people I've played online FF with. I'll also join a few other free public leagues but only with 8 teams. This year is just a relearning year and I don't expect to do well. I just want to have fun. I used to be a diehard Baseball fan until the strike in the 90's and I just said screw it. Football took over as my main sport and fantasy game.
FrodoFraggins
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FrodoFraggins » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 am

bigh0rt wrote:You've got a pretty decent grasp, evidenced by the #4 point you make. Regarding your scoring system, very little changes with respect to the value of players. High-OPS players are often the most valuable anyway, so adding that as an offensive category only adjusts things slightly. Low AVG players who post high-OPS get a bump (think Jose Bautista last season or 2010, whichever season he bat .260 and not .300). Relievers become more valuable with the addition of Holds and BB both. In a Roto League like this, I would carry at least 6 relief pitchers, fill every RP and P slot with them (3 closers and 3 solid setup men for holds with good ratios and high K-Rates), and fill every single one of your bench spots with SPs. I'd value high-K, low-BB starters more so than usual and worry less about their ratios, as if you have the right relievers, you should get some relief in that department.

All of this said, if it ends up being a 6 team league, or even 8, it's going to essentially be a coin toss for me, as every team will be totally loaded.

Thanks again for the feedback. I have a couple of followup questions if you have the time.

When would you start drafting some setup men while there are still closers on the board? Should I focus on grabbing 2 closers before even thinking about setup guys?

I'm also a bit confused on how I would prioritize drafting the other starters you mention putting on the bench?
FrodoFraggins
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ayebatter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:09 am

[quote="FrodoFraggins"]
When would you start drafting some setup men while there are still closers on the board? Should I focus on grabbing 2 closers before even thinking about setup guys?

You should find the top notch setup men will be more valuable than the top closers by virtue of their increase in innings, their counting numbers in holds will be equal to a good closers counting numbers in saves, their Ks should be up, and they will have a greater influence on your era/whip with their increase in innings. So the answer is, yes draft the top guys while there are still middle of the road closers available.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)

Return to Baseball Leftovers