What Is the Value of a Top 10 Pick/Player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What Is the Value of a Top 10 Pick/Player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What Is the Value of a Top 10 Pick/Player?

Postby South Coast Ghost » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:18 pm

So here's the thing: I'm in an 18 team league, H2H Cats (pretty standard, with Total Bases and OBP added to hitters and Innings Pitched and Holds for pitchers) and was able to Draft Votto in the first round.

Now it seems like there are more than a few teams who would like to upgrade their 1B position. Not only do I have Votto, but I also have Berkman sitting in the OF who would, while not replacing Votto, allow me to not have someone like James Loney at 1B and provide decent numbers hopefully.

So what's the value of someone like Votto? I'm normally pretty risk averse when it comes to trading away high draft picks, but in this deep of a league I'm intrigued by what I could possibly get back. Two things to know: 1) it's a 2 player Keeper league and 2) I already have one of the best pitching staffs in the league and am trying to trade one or two pitchers for an upgrade in hitting anyway, specifically my 2B, C, and SS positions which are currently filled by Aaron Hill, Ryan Hanigan and Alcides Escobar, respectively.

So, what would you ask for Votto? Or any other Top 5-10 player for that matter? What's essential that you get back?
South Coast Ghost
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What Is the Value of a Top 10 Pick/Player?

Postby Element » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:57 pm

With TB and OBP added ... Votto may end up being the best player in your league. Definitely top 5. It would take a whole shitload of talent in return for me to move him. I would basically ask for another round 1 talent (mid to end of round 1) & someone else that is very close to it. If someone offered me up Longoria and Pedroia my ears would perk. Then again, I wouldn't actively seek to move Votto.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Pretty high. I agree with Element, you have to get a lot back in return to make a deal and you have to get a 1st round player in return.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 pm

In your league, with those categories, and only 2 keepers, I'm holding onto Votto. I just don't see another better long term option than Votto (Miggy or Tulo maybe?) in this type of league. And since your SP is stacked, keeping Votto will probably net you the best hitter/pitcher keeper combo in the league.

If anything, I'd keep Votto and be looking to move excess SP instead.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Votto is a very possible top 5 player in your league. Definitely don't trade him.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Whats your complete roster and FA?
I hope you didn't reach on Berk.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions