Crazy to throw back Roy Halladay? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crazy to throw back Roy Halladay? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Crazy to throw back Roy Halladay? WHIR

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
sigriffey wrote:
MadDog36 wrote:I love Hanley too but as you told me on PM, I would take 2 years of Cargo and 1 year of Halladay over 1 year of Hanley. Besides the availability of scarce top OF really concerns me. I guess a few teams are loaded with good OF, and OF is deep eys, but with thist list...

Hey man,

The only thing is that it's the opposite. I have 2 years of Hanley OR 1 year of Cargo. The scarcity of outfield is a concern, but so is the prospect of tossing two years of Hanley back into the draft. What to do!?
I'd still take 1 year of Car-Go over 2 of God knows what from Hanley.

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby courduroy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Way too thin at OF not to keep Gonzalez. Much better chance Hanley slips to you because everyone is afraid then Halladay slipping. Keep Halladay and throw HanRam back. Does Cabrera qualify at 3B to start for you? Not that it matters, you have to keep him but you might not be as flexible at UT if you need a 3B for the first 2 weeks.
courduroy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjs1856 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm

With that group I think you have to keep Roy - I mean CG is such a hard item to find and he should get you almost half of what you'd need by himself. ...

As for Cargo v HanRam - You have a stacked 4 hitters w/ Fielder Peds Miggy and Ellsbury - so Cargo V Hanram = a question of risk. Cargo is solid for 30/100/100/20/300... Hanley could be 15/80/80/20/.290 or he could be 25/90/95/30/.300.... If you look at it as a bit of a flyer since you are STACKED in a 12 team league I could justify HanRam. plus 2 years if he comes back? then you are set....
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm

pjs1856 wrote:With that group I think you have to keep Roy - I mean CG is such a hard item to find and he should get you almost half of what you'd need by himself. ...

As for Cargo v HanRam - You have a stacked 4 hitters w/ Fielder Peds Miggy and Ellsbury - so Cargo V Hanram = a question of risk. Cargo is solid for 30/100/100/20/300... Hanley could be 15/80/80/20/.290 or he could be 25/90/95/30/.300.... If you look at it as a bit of a flyer since you are STACKED in a 12 team league I could justify HanRam. plus 2 years if he comes back? then you are set....

That's sort of how I see it. But the guy above makes a good point... outfield absolutely drops off the table in our draft this year. Do I stand to better fill SS with a Dee Gordon type or fill OF with a Beltran type?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby pjs1856 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:42 pm

sigriffey wrote:
pjs1856 wrote:With that group I think you have to keep Roy - I mean CG is such a hard item to find and he should get you almost half of what you'd need by himself. ...

That's sort of how I see it. But the guy above makes a good point... outfield absolutely drops off the table in our draft this year. Do I stand to better fill SS with a Dee Gordon type or fill OF with a Beltran type?

That's the issue.... I think he is so set offensively that a high risk high reward is almost worth it. Yea OF falls off a cliff but starting with Ellsbury when he only starts 3 is well worth it... i mean he also has what 7 dudes in the top 30 a min. #firstworldproblems. I'd go HanRam b/c of the 3 OF and 2 years. Worst case you can grab the Choo meister or Lawrie at the tail end of round 1.

heck - why not call the guy w/ the #1 pick and offer Cargo + your 1st for their #1 and take Jupton?
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm

sigriffey wrote:

I think you are looking at it the wrong way.
Keepers should be best talent.
Cargo offers really no risk.
Hanley carries risk. His stats have been dropping before last year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby pjs1856 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:52 pm

I look at it as if HanRam performs to his 30/30 potential then he's a top 5 player - if not then you get top 10 SS production at least and with only 3 OFs... I'd take the risk or see if you could trade one of them.
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:55 pm

No way would I drop Halladay with your league settings. IP + CG + ER = Halladay is #1 by a HUGE margin. I don't even think this is debatable...

As for Hanley vs. Cargo, you know my stance on this from PMs and the other thread. Best of luck ;-D
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 pm

can you trade? trade cargo and 12th pick to move up and grab upton and keep halladay

but keeper league i like age talent better then old talent, halladay has at most 3 more years at this level, hanley has 10+ and so does cargo

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=440587
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 pm

pjs1856 wrote:I look at it as if HanRam performs to his 30/30 potential then he's a top 5 player - if not then you get top 10 SS production at least and with only 3 OFs... I'd take the risk or see if you could trade one of them.

I'm pretty confident his 30/30 days are gone. Last time was 2008.
He's listed at 229 pounds. He was slimmer back then. He's gotten too bulky to expect that.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions