Keeper Draft Strategy (Contender v. Rebuilding) *WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Draft Strategy (Contender v. Rebuilding) *WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Draft Strategy (Contender v. Rebuilding) *WHIR

Postby Mister Reid » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 pm

What do you think my keeper draft strategy should be?

The dilemma: I am teetering on what my draft strategy should both this year and for the years to come. I have a very formidable core of keeper (both points and value wise) who allowed me to breeze through the regular season and the playoffs only to lose in the championship. With $83 to fill 14 open spots this year, the only player of significant value I had to drop was Ryan Howard. The rest of my impact players remain on my team.

Option 1: I can remain championship favorite for the next 2-5 years and attempt to rebuild once my team becomes too expensive or old.
Strategy 1: Use cap space on one elite player $35-45 ( Miggy, Lincecum, Braun, Tex, Holliday, Hanley) while filling in the rest of my team with $1 players
*This would require a 1-2 year rebuilding phase years down the road*

Option 2: I can be a viable contender for the next 2-5 years by sacrificing a little star power now to develop a solid farm system.
Strategy 2: Use cap space on one solid player $25-35( Crawford, Ubaldo, Markakis etc.) and invest the rest of my cap space on unproven, potentially elite players down the road.
*Would produce a solid team for the indefinite future*

Option 3: I can give my self a chance to make the playoffs while focusing on minor league players and soon to be elite players who are unproven and potentially turning my team into a powerhouse for the years to come.
Strategy 3: Invest all my cap space in unproven potentially elite players.

My strategy thus far: Keep my core group of good value keepers intact while spending big bucks for the top players in the auction each year and filling the rest of my team with $1 players. Each year, as the salaries of my players increase I am forced to drop a high price player. It got me in the championship last year and should for the next 2-5 years but if I continue on this path I will (like other owners) suffer through a complete rebuilding phase.

The League:
4th year of a 16 team keeper league
H2H (play 5 teams per week)
Points based
Auction ($260 cap)
25 Man roster: 1 active C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, LF, DH: 9 active pitching slots (any mix of SP or RP) : 5 minor slots: 5 DL spots.
Everyday active lineup

Keepers: No limit on number of keepers, salary based on auction value with salaries increasing $3 each year they are kept.
Free Agent Keepers: Year 1: $1 | Year 2: $10 | Year 3: $13 | Add $3 per additional year
Minor League Keepers: Rookie Year: $1 | Year 2: $7 | Year 3: $10 | Add $3 per each additional year

Point Breakdown/Player Value: Very complex system (let me know if you want more details).
Elite starting pitching favored slightly over elite hitting with all other tiers points being very close.
Points are for the most part distributed very evenly compared to ESPN and CBS Top 300 list with nod going to elite pitchers over hitters.
Middle Relievers and Setup men: Can be very valuable (Venters finished in top 25 of all pitchers).

My Team ($177): Players and current salary
Rickie Weeks ($13)
Asdrubal Cabrera ($11)
Martin Prado ($13)
Justin Upton ($12)
Mark Trumbo ($7)
CC Sabathia ($43)
Jared Weaver ($15)
Matt Cain ($19)
David Price ($21)
Tommy Hanson ($10)
Craig Kimbrel ($13)
Mister Reid
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Draft Strategy (Contender v. Rebuilding) *WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

I would package Prado+Sabathia for a slightly lesser ace for cheap and go for the best available talent that suits your team needs. When playing multiple teams per week I like balance.

Definitely shoot for MIggy Cab for sure. You need a 1b..
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1956)

Re: Keeper Draft Strategy (Contender v. Rebuilding) *WHIR

Postby wilhouse » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 pm

I think CC is costing you way to much. I'd try to clear him off your cap space and really invest in option 2.

maybe target homser or konerko for a nice mid range 1b
I dont ask many questions but if you like to WHIR me, Become a fan of my facebook fan page. http://on.fb.me/yIu2sv Fantasy Sport Edge on facebook.

http://fantasysportedge.com - source for all your nfl and mlb fantasy news.
wilhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions