Trevor Bauers "K" Club - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trevor Bauers "K" Club

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trevor Bauers

Postby hondo4mvp » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 am

hondo4mvp wrote:
juliown1028 wrote:How many starts are you guys giving him (in redraft leagues) before cutting the line on him?

Drop him now and move on.It was worth a shot on speculation, but he's not quite ready and needs some more coaching.He think's he's smarter than the vets he's facing.

He will probably unhittable in a couple years, but there are just too many tricky old vets out there that will just toy with him this year.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trevor Bauers "K" Club

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 am

If he can keep sucking maybe the Cubs can trade an average former first rounder for him this off-season...a la Brett Jackson
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:14 am

You guys serious about already cutting him? :*)

Stick with him, it's too early to seriously bench one of the few guys who could be a difference maker for the second half. At the very least, who could pass up a tasty Dodgers start? I'd still start him there and if that goes bad, just sit him.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 am

Grounded Polo wrote:You guys serious about already cutting him? :*)

Stick with him, it's too early to seriously bench one of the few guys who could be a difference maker for the second half. At the very least, who could pass up a tasty Dodgers start? I'd still start him there and if that goes bad, just sit him.
If he looks as bad against the Dodgers as he did the Padres, what lineup would you feel comfortable trotting him out against? He's looking, unfortunately, just like the pitcher there was a lot of anticipation he would look like given his minor league numbers. In a redraft league I'd venture you'd be better off spot starting once a week for the rest of the season than starting him, unless he changes majorly and fast. Sure, there's few (none?) with higher upside, but there's been too many guys who are now Aces who have come in and been non-fantasy productive in their first season to waste time hoping. I remember having Kershaw in 2008 when he was first called up, certain that I had the next big can't miss pitcher on my team, gloating, etc. Then he posted a 4.26 ERA and 1.50 WHIP, and yes, there were innings he showed flashes of his potential, just like Bauer did in the 1st inning last night. But not a single time did Kershaw look as bad as Bauer last night, and there was maybe one or two starts the entire season where you would have wanted him in your fantasy lineup. He wasn't ready to dominate. And Bauer likely isn't either. Check out Kershaw's BB totals over his 7 career starts: 1, 4, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2. After his 1st start, he didn't get out of the 6th inning a single time in those 7, and didn't get out of the 5th in half of them.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:22 pm

The Bauer owners have been sitting on him already for months now, what's another month now to see if he can work out the kinks and become a serviceable fantasy starter? This isn't a guy who sat on waivers until the day before his first start, he was rostered in many leagues on draft day. If it's August 1 and he's still struggling, cut the guy, but I don't think spot starting is the strategy that can catapult an owner like possibly striking jackpot by stashing Bauer to give him a chance to make adjustments to major league pitching.

My own expectations have always been back end fantasy starter for 2012 because that's the logical bet for any rookie pitcher save Hultzen when he gets the call because he's a different pitcher. The usual pattern of spot starting is you get a good start 2-3 times in a row then you pick up the guy who gets pummeled for 8 runs at Safeco.

I like to make more aggressive moves, gave up on Rickie Weeks a month ago for instance, but at this point, owners are in too deep to cut bait just yet.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Maybe Bauer is settling in? 6 innings, 0 earned, 2 hits, 6 strikeouts, 1 BB against the Dodgers today. I expect some inconsistency and a few too many walks but still anticipate getting around a 9 k/9 and a 3.50 ERA from here on out.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 pm

See, a little patience goes a long way. ;-D

Of course, it was against the worst offense in baseball but still good to see him have a great start, hope he puts up another solid performance against a more formidable offense.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:28 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Maybe Bauer is settling in? 6 innings, 0 earned, 2 hits, 6 strikeouts, 1 BB against the Dodgers today. I expect some inconsistency and a few too many walks but still anticipate getting around a 9 k/9 and a 3.50 ERA from here on out.
This would be fantastic. I'm expecting an ERA over 4.00, with an appropriate WHIP to go with it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby bayside » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

I think his whip will hover in the high 1.3 range at best, but i also think he can maintain a sub 4 era the rest of the way. As he gets more comfortable his results should improve, and he will be facing some pretty awful offenses. When the Giants are the team with the best offense youll have to face in your division, then you know you have some great matchups
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:See, a little patience goes a long way. ;-D

Of course, it was against the worst offense in baseball but still good to see him have a great start, hope he puts up another solid performance against a more formidable offense.

It really looked to me like he found it in the third. His control was better this time and seemed to be more able to pitch to contact. Those are the two big keys for me. I'll trust him, but I'm still watching his matchups closely. With him Cashner and Pomeranz, there's alot of good young arms to choose from in the NL West.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers