Innings Limit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Innings Limit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Innings Limit?

Postby murphydog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I know Strasburg and possibly Moore might be on one this year. What about any other pitchers? Wainwright?
murphydog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Innings Limit?

Postby themather » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Though I haven't seen a specific number attached to them, I have to think Tommy Hanson and Josh Johnson are at the very least going to get an extra day's rest here and there.

Johan Santana will certainly be on a limit as well, but that's provided he even makes it to inning #1 first.
themather
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Element » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

I was watching the Nationals game yesterday and they had Mike Rizzo on & the topic of Strasburg's innings cap came up. He said that there is NOT an exact innings cap on him this season. It could be 160, it could be 140 or it could be 170. They're just going to 'treat him like a young pitcher' and when he begins to look tired they'll shut him down. They will not skip starts unless needed like they attempted to do with Zimmermann last season. They want him on a normal schedule.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby interchange » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Should Strasburg remain healthy and strong all season, could he go all the way? I think the nats have a fair shot of competing for the playoffs, so they will want their ace.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm

interchange wrote:Should Strasburg remain healthy and strong all season, could he go all the way? I think the nats have a fair shot of competing for the playoffs, so they will want their ace.

Based on his tone during the broadcast, I would think that he wants to shut Strasburg down, but wants to leave it open in the event that the Nats are in the hunt. How would the media take it of they were just a few games back in August and they shut down their best starter? 'Throwing in the towel' could certainly cost the franchise a lot of money with the potential high leverage games that they could be playing in late in the season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby bayside » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:01 am

pushing him anywhere close to 200 innings seems absurd.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:39 am

I'd think Neftali Feliz would be on some kind of innings limit.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

bayside wrote:pushing him anywhere close to 200 innings seems absurd.

Is there any actual precedent for pitchers returning from TJ surgery getting re-injured from pitching too many innings? I see all these limits but I don't see any justification for it. As far as I can tell an arbitrary line was set and eveyrbody conforms to it, because if you do what people expect and it goes wrong, it's bad luck. But if you don't follow the arbitrary guidelines and something goes wrong it was your fault. For that reason (I'm sure some philosopher has come up with a term for it) I can't say I really blame the managers but it still doesn't make much practical sense.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 am

Moore is a good bet for ~200 IP. Any RP turned SP should have an IP limit. Sale, Bard, Crow, Feliz, etc.

Then you have the post injury players coming back. If they don't have a hard IP cap they'll probably at least end up on the DL at some point. I wouldn't trust a guy like Strasburg to hold up for a full season. So even if they take the kid's gloves off and let him pitch you would be gambling to expect 150+ IP.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Return to Baseball Leftovers