Why does Ted Lilly get no respect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does Ted Lilly get no respect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why does Ted Lilly get no respect?

Postby West » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am

THE TERMINATOR wrote:Becouse there are many excitting young pitchers that are coming up through the syston that are younger and alot better. He become a .500 pitcher. He just got to that point where they become an after thought.

Anyway it's not about the respect for it's still there. It's just he has reach the point where he is more valueable to his team to wining baseball games then he is to you helping you to win your fantasy game.

I hope you are in one of my money leagues this year.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 219)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 pm

cordscords wrote:His FIP has been over 4.20 the last two seasons. He's never been a power pitcher, but his Swinging Strike % has declined 3 straight years. He just doesn't present that top 15 upside as previously mentioned. He can be a solid back end guy filling out a teams rotation, but at age 36 that's it. The wheels could start to fall off the track. I'd rather take McCarty as a WHIP guy, or draft Johan hoping he's the comeback player of the year.

First off, his FIP has been a little higher than his ERA in each of the last 5 seasons. He just keeps beating the system.

Second, when someone AVERAGES a 1.13 WHIP over 5 seasons and still gets overlooked, there is an issue.

And finally, you can knockin his age all you want, but Ted Lilly ended 2011 with a BANG! His post all-star break numbers last year were:
14 starts, 2.94 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 85 IP, 80 K's, .183 BAA

And as you mentioned, Ted Lilly isnt a power pitcher, so the 36 years of age is a little less frightening

And the best part is... NOBODY IS ASKING LILLY TO CARRY THEIR FANTASY PITCHING STAFF! He is being drafted as a back of the rotation guy, while posting numbers you might ask from your #2 or #3 starter. You arent wasting a high pick on him. When such consistency and reliability can be had this late in the draft, you dont pass it up.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 441)

Postby aardvarks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I was really excited to get Lilly late in last seasons draft but he was pretty horrid in April, June and July last year.

I hung on for about 3 1/2 months and when I dropeed him his season era was over 5 and there was talk of arm trouble.

then he pitches like he's Clayton Kershaw for 2 months on somebody elses team %-6 .
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 88)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:29 pm

aardvarks wrote:I was really excited to get Lilly late in last seasons draft but he was pretty horrid in April, June and July last year.

I hung on for about 3 1/2 months and when I dropeed him his season era was over 5 and there was talk of arm trouble.

then he pitches like he's Clayton Kershaw for 2 months on somebody elses team %-6 .

Lilly actually always seems to pitch like an ACE for the final 2 months of the season. Not just last year.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 441)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:12 pm

aardvarks wrote:I was really excited to get Lilly late in last seasons draft but he was pretty horrid in April, June and July last year.

THIS. Same exact thing happened to me. I mean exact. !+)
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby West » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:12 pm

I've had real good luck in the last few years grabbing older talents like Lilly and Javier Vazquez (and even younger guys like Billingsley) after an impatient owner dropped them halfway through the season. You gotta stay the course on these guys because they have a proven skill set and usually their ERA does not reflect how well they are actually pitching.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 219)

Postby Bronson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:

THIS. Same exact thing happened to me. I mean exact. !+)

I had a similar issue a couple years back when he started the season off absolutely awful and they began talking about a "dead arm." I dropped him, someone else picked him up, and he had a great rest of the year.

I haven't looked at the career numbers, but it seems like he's a slow start, strong finish type of pitcher. The kind of pitcher you either draft and stay REAL patient with or avoid on draft day and keep an eye on the waiver wire.
I SWEAR IT !!!
Bronson
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:45 pm

He'll be around whern I want to draft him...... I also agree he is great to have towards the end of the season.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 235)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Every season there's a thread about how under-rated Ted Lilly is, and mostly everybody agrees that he gets drafted way too late.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby Merlin401 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:27 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:You're really gonna draft someone named "Ted?"

Also "Lilly?"

Yup, girly name. I'd rather not own Lucas Duda either. I'm not even joking. I don't want to have to look at "Duda" every day for the next 7 months. I'll pick the next name down on my list.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers