Punting AVG in a H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting AVG in a H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting AVG in a H2H

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Punting SBs or SVs seems common enough in a h2h. But could you feasabliy "punt" AVG and win every week? I guess the idea is to simply not care about AVG and only look at the counting stats. I think the poster child for this idea would be Mark Reynolds who had great counting stats but in a roto league was decimate your chances of competing in avg. Dan Uggla, Chris Young, BJ Upton also come to mind.

Putting this into effect you would target say...Danny Espinosa over a Howie Kendrick or Mark Reynolds over any other 3B. Then spend your higher picks either on pitching or reaching early for one of the better SS.

What do ya'll think?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punting AVG in a H2H

Postby Tavish » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Just like any other strategy it can work, but you are taking on some additional risks. The main problem with this strategy that I see is that for the most part guys with low averages are usually 2 category players. Either SB and R or HR and RBI. Most other punting strategies tend to focus on 3 cat players who are strong in those specific 3 cats (usually R, BA, and SB). With your strategy you will likely need to spend half your picks on strong HR guys and half on strong SB guys in order to just give yourself a chance in any of the offensive categories.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Punting average CAN work because guys that hit for low averages last year (like Ian Kinsler, David Wright, Evan Longoria, Carlos Santana, Hanley Ramirez, etc.), are fully capable of hitting for a much higher average.

You just never know, any guy can hit for a decent average. Even Jose Bautista (a career .254 hitter INCLUDING last season) hit over .300 last year. So you just never know who is gonna surprise you.

Not to mention you are playing a H2H league so guys go through hot streaks and cold streaks all the time.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 pm

In H2H I don't exactly punt average, it's more "don't care about". :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Punting average CAN work because guys that hit for low averages last year (like Ian Kinsler, David Wright, Evan Longoria, Carlos Santana, Hanley Ramirez, etc.), are fully capable of hitting for a much higher average.

I doubt you are going to get a discount on any of those types of players.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:29 am

Tavish wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Punting average CAN work because guys that hit for low averages last year (like Ian Kinsler, David Wright, Evan Longoria, Carlos Santana, Hanley Ramirez, etc.), are fully capable of hitting for a much higher average.

I doubt you are going to get a discount on any of those types of players.

I wasnt saying anything about a discount. These are obvious examples, but there are tons of players that can hit .290 one season, and .260 the next and vice versa. So while it may appear you are punting average, it may not be the case.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 am

AussieDodger wrote:In H2H I don't exactly punt average, it's more "don't care about". :-D

Zackly ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Return to Baseball Leftovers