can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still

Postby Maris09 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 pm

wingman3110 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:I was wondering this sort of thing the other night and tried my luck in mock draft. What my thinking was/is that in a 12 team 5x5 league I would need to win ALL the pitching categories. Which IMO is doable. Offensively my strategy was to win steals, be in the upper end for batting average, and score about 2-5 ROTO points in Runs. I would obviously take last in HR/RBI.

I drafted from the #11 spot and took Halladay, Verlander, and Hamels with my first 3 picks. I then added guys like Elvis Andrus, Michael Bourn, Ichiro, Brett Gardner, and Jemile Weeks. Those guys alone would basically win me the stolen base category and they all have a decent BA. I also drafted closers like Papelbon, Bell, Madson, and Thornton.

According to my projections and calculations my team would have scored around 85 points in a 12 team 5x5 league. Now by no means am I saying I will be doing this strategy this year but I can definitely seeing it working for some people.

You would get absolutely spanked if you drafted that team in a real league. Not even a chance.

Care to explain why you think that? Just curious is all. I personally think with the pitching that I drafted: Verlander, Halladay, Hamels, Strasburg, Bumgarner, Jaime Garcia, Zimmermann and then the closers of Papelbon, Bell, Madson, Thornton, and Capps that I would win all the pitching categories.

Depends what your minimum innings requirement is per week. ERA and WHIP can be a very fickle thing. If you have a low minimum innings requirement, someone could just throw their best starter and/or just throw closers or middle relievers at you, and try taking ERA and/or WHIP. Every pitchers gets blown up every now and then. If one of your studs happens to that week, I could see you not taking one or both of the ratio categories if your opponent comes at you with a strategy.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm

It's roto not H2H. Even if you got 12 points in every pitching category (which is never a given) you'd have no chance with such low R/RBI/HR. And you won't be able to find those on the waiver wire.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 177)

Postby wingman3110 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It's roto not H2H. Even if you got 12 points in every pitching category (which is never a given) you'd have no chance with such low R/RBI/HR. And you won't be able to find those on the waiver wire.

I realize that I would take last in HR and RBI. Runs though I could manage to get anywhere from 3-5 Roto points. You would win SB's so there is 12, and the team I drafted would be middle of the pack in BA so there is 6 more points.

So for arguments sake we'll say you get 57 points from pitching (although I still think you can win them all) and get 24 points from hitting. Thats 81 points and gives you shot in some leagues. Realistically with this strategy you can score anywhere from as high as 85 points but you can also really screw up and only score 70 points.

By no means will I be doing this in any of my leagues this year but I can definitely see why people would want to give it a shot.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 141)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm

I can't see why anybody would want to try this. In the best case scenario projecting for 85 roto points, you won't win. Coming out of the draft you should at least be at 100 roto points based on your own projections (an average of a third place finish in each category). It's extremely hard to win in roto while punting 1 category. With 2 it's impossible, especially with such a huge weakness in a third category.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 177)

Postby mudman63 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm

You should never go into a draft or auction intending to tank a category. You are immediately putting yourself at a disadvantage and putting a lot more pressure on yourself to excel in the other categories (1st/2nd in each). I've been in a competitive 14 team league for 20 years and have won twice while finishing last in Steals but I didn't go into it planning to finish last in that category. I had to overcome it. Last in a category means 1 point while someone else is getting 14. That's a a lot to overcome to end in 1st overall. Much better to get SOME points in every category. Sometimes a draft/auction doesn't go the way you plan it and halfway through you can see you're in trouble in a category. At that point you might need to make the decision whether to focus on your strength and cut bait on that weak spot but I would never make it part of my initial strategy... and there is no way to tank two categories and win it all.
mudman63
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby OBPlover » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:38 pm

I don't recommend punting categories if your goal is to finish 1st..1st and nothing but 1st. The reason why is because the first place team in any league is usually good-great in EVERY category. Not just because one person is going to know that much more about fantasy baseball. Just that, on average, one person is going to have above average luck. However, if you are content with finishing 2nd or 3rd and winning some prize money, punting can be a decent strategy.

A lot of it will have to do with the draft/auction process. Sometimes, you just got to take what they give you. I've been in leagues where the top starting pitchers were taken in the 1st round in lieu of top hitters. I had no choice but to load up on hitting..then grab 3 good closers and a bunch of good middle relievers and punt wins. (Luckily there was no min innings pitch rule).
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 120)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:12 am

No you can't win your league by punting RP because you will lose ERA/WHIP and SV. You can pay discount prices to speculate on great RP getting closer jobs though and hope that they win you ERA/WHIP and place you a few points up in SV. You can win your league punting AVG or SB if you do it well and it is at least plausible to punt Runs as well. For pitching you can punt Wins and go with good SP on bad teams and then elite K/9 closers.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kaiser » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:52 am

Obviously, the general consensus here is that it is crazy to punt any cat in a roto league. However, I'd be interested in hearing some more discussion on punting saves (or perhaps less likely steals) in H2H. Is it a more workable strategy than in roto?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 320)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers