can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby boscos1126 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 am

win. i was thinking of punting saves and just going with starting pitchers. hoping to win k's,and wins, post a decent whip and era. load up on hr hitters and sb's. i would have a ton of money in keeper lea.$280 5x5. get some good ave hitters, runs ,sb's, hrs,ave. can it be done?
boscos1126
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: can u punt a category in 5x5 lea. and still

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:07 am

roto or H2H?

In roto it is very difficult to win if you punt a category. In H2H it's pretty common to punt either SB's or SV's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby boscos1126 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 am

roto
boscos1126
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 am

boscos1126 wrote:roto

In most roto leagues you would probably need to finish 1st or 2nd in every category to win if you punted one. Do you feel that confident?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby boscos1126 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:03 am

no im not that confident but is it doable?
boscos1126
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:24 pm

It's a lot harder than not punting, if that's what you mean. Everything is doable, it's comes down to how likely it is you will do it. The only reason you should punt a category in roto before the season even starts is if it's a deep keeper league and you don't have much choice because there are limited players available. Even still, you can trade from strength to even it out.

Last season I ended up punting Average about halfway through the season because almost all my guys were at the low end of what I expected and the hole that I dug myself into was insurmountable. To give you an idea, at the end of the season, Jeff Francouer had the highest BA of any player that spent any amount of time on my roster at .286. I finished dead last with a .249 BA but was able to cheaply target low BA players to improve the other categories and wound up in 3rd place overall, 2.5 points back of first. One more save and I was alone in second place and had $100 more in prize money. I was first in steals, second in homers, and 3rd in R/RBI, first in Ks, first in Wins, and above average in SV, ERA, and WHIP. If I had even finished with a .265 BA I would have easily won the league. So yeah... it's very hard to win if you finish last in any category. Don't do it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby wingman3110 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:20 pm

I was wondering this sort of thing the other night and tried my luck in mock draft. What my thinking was/is that in a 12 team 5x5 league I would need to win ALL the pitching categories. Which IMO is doable. Offensively my strategy was to win steals, be in the upper end for batting average, and score about 2-5 ROTO points in Runs. I would obviously take last in HR/RBI.

I drafted from the #11 spot and took Halladay, Verlander, and Hamels with my first 3 picks. I then added guys like Elvis Andrus, Michael Bourn, Ichiro, Brett Gardner, and Jemile Weeks. Those guys alone would basically win me the stolen base category and they all have a decent BA. I also drafted closers like Papelbon, Bell, Madson, and Thornton.

According to my projections and calculations my team would have scored around 85 points in a 12 team 5x5 league. Now by no means am I saying I will be doing this strategy this year but I can definitely seeing it working for some people.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby medium_robin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:49 pm

To completely punt a category is crazy in Roto. A good plan for Roto is to dominate a few categories and be average in a few. You can get there a lot of ways. There are cheap SB's at the end of every draft (Pagan, Crisp, even Dee Gordon) and cheap HR's (Kubel, Willingham). There are cheap saves too (lots of closers are given that role mid-season).

Especially in shallow leagues or 5x5 leagues where there's no place to make up points, punting...I mean absolutely giving up and expecting 1 point...is a bad idea.

To me, punting means you are trying such an extreme strategy that you aren't looking for opportunities to make your team better.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:24 pm

wingman3110 wrote:I was wondering this sort of thing the other night and tried my luck in mock draft. What my thinking was/is that in a 12 team 5x5 league I would need to win ALL the pitching categories. Which IMO is doable. Offensively my strategy was to win steals, be in the upper end for batting average, and score about 2-5 ROTO points in Runs. I would obviously take last in HR/RBI.

I drafted from the #11 spot and took Halladay, Verlander, and Hamels with my first 3 picks. I then added guys like Elvis Andrus, Michael Bourn, Ichiro, Brett Gardner, and Jemile Weeks. Those guys alone would basically win me the stolen base category and they all have a decent BA. I also drafted closers like Papelbon, Bell, Madson, and Thornton.

According to my projections and calculations my team would have scored around 85 points in a 12 team 5x5 league. Now by no means am I saying I will be doing this strategy this year but I can definitely seeing it working for some people.

You would get absolutely spanked if you drafted that team in a real league. Not even a chance.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby wingman3110 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:I was wondering this sort of thing the other night and tried my luck in mock draft. What my thinking was/is that in a 12 team 5x5 league I would need to win ALL the pitching categories. Which IMO is doable. Offensively my strategy was to win steals, be in the upper end for batting average, and score about 2-5 ROTO points in Runs. I would obviously take last in HR/RBI.

You would get absolutely spanked if you drafted that team in a real league. Not even a chance.

Care to explain why you think that? Just curious is all. I personally think with the pitching that I drafted: Verlander, Halladay, Hamels, Strasburg, Bumgarner, Jaime Garcia, Zimmermann and then the closers of Papelbon, Bell, Madson, Thornton, and Capps that I would win all the pitching categories.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers