How do you determine how many of each catagory you need? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you determine how many of each catagory you need?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How do you determine how many of each catagory you need?

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:since you state is a h2h league im wondering why you even bring up point totals. i can see doing this for roto...but h2h should just be draft best available player

And thats a big mistake.
I just read a good article about that here:
http://www.ultimatefantasydrafthelper.com/tactic

Unless trades are allowed during draft. Don't lose out on the value of the draft pick just because he doesn't fit your strategy. Draft him, then flip him later.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:since you state is a h2h league im wondering why you even bring up point totals. i can see doing this for roto...but h2h should just be draft best available player

And thats a big mistake.
I just read a good article about that here:
http://www.ultimatefantasydrafthelper.com/tactic

1. Just because someone wrote an article about it doesn't make it true.
2. I don't think that article actually says to not take the best player available, I'm not sure because
3. That's not a very good article. Basically a plug for their products, whatever those are.

Shawngee makes a good point - you don't need to try to hit target numbers for H2H, just assemble the best team you can. If you're a little light on one category or another that's not a big deal. Often people intentionally set out to be weak in a category or two.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't think I ever fully pay attention to what my numbers look like...if I'm drafting the best players on the board at each position it should, for the most part, take care of itself....and if it doesn't then I'll make trades in season or look to pick guys up off of WW/FA to make up for it. Don't get me wrong, if I visually see my roster and I can tell I'm a little weak on SB then I'll try to grab 1 or 2 guys that has more speed than someone similarly ranked that doesn't but I don't really shoot for specific numbers...the numbers will come if you draft the best players.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:27 pm

J35J wrote:I don't think I ever fully pay attention to what my numbers look like...if I'm drafting the best players on the board at each position it should, for the most part, take care of itself....and if it doesn't then I'll make trades in season or look to pick guys up off of WW/FA to make up for it. Don't get me wrong, if I visually see my roster and I can tell I'm a little weak on SB then I'll try to grab 1 or 2 guys that has more speed than someone similarly ranked that doesn't but I don't really shoot for specific numbers...the numbers will come if you draft the best players.

Agree with the most of it, but there's a difference between best available player overall, and best availble player for your team IMO.
If you already have two 1b on a team with only one 1b and 1 Util spot to put them, than you surely don't want to draft Konerko. Rather draft a SP or CL instead, even if Konerko is more valuable.

And there are many league where trades are rare, or just don't happen. Theres a league I was able to make a trade only once. In 9 years. And not that I didn't try.
In leagues where managers are active traders it might be worth a try to draft another 1b, but Im not convinced.

TheRock wrote:1. Just because someone wrote an article about it doesn't make it true.....
Basically a plug for their products

Right.
I didn't say it's true. I said it's a good article. Might be worth a thought.
But without any explanation, your post is worth less than a though.
You merely came up with a useless phrase.
I got another one.
If someone doesn't understand something, it doesn't mean it's incorrect.
For a byproduct, it's certainly a big one. :-D
But enough with useless phrases.

So true or not, I think everyone has to learn as much as they can, and than draw their own conclusions.
I guess they try to say that if you take the next best player as your 3rd OF with still many good options available, while a scarce postion's current tier is about to dry out, than at the end you end up with less combined numbers. And don't think only the next two picks. Think next 4-5, or more.
For me it certainly makes sense.
Or they might be saying something else, and I didn't understand correctly.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I draft by tiers so I don't generally have a 'best player'. The first thing you need to keep in mind is that your projections aren't very accurate. If you project someone at $19 and someone else at $18 there really isn't a difference between the two and there is no reason to pass over a need for a 'better' player in that case. However if you have a guy listed at $20 and the next best is $15 even if he doesn't fit your team it is probably smart to grab him in most cases. At some point the value just becomes more important than the fit. The next thing you need to keep in mind that even in the best case scenario only like 80% of your stats are coming out of the draft, you are going to turn over part of your roster and you don't really know what stats will be available. If your league trades a lot you might turn over 40% or more of your stats. Finally you have to understand that every single league is different so it is hard to just list off some stats to target.

I'm a strong believer in drafting for a floor of stats with the core of your team and understand that the rest of your stats are pretty fungible. What that floor is will really depend on your league though. I'd keep in mind it is easier to find SB and SV during the season than it is the other stats.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Agree with the most of it, but there's a difference between best available player overall, and best availble player for your team IMO.

Absolutely correct.

Ender wrote:I draft by tiers so I don't generally have a 'best player'. The first thing you need to keep in mind is that your projections aren't very accurate. If you project someone at $19 and someone else at $18 there really isn't a difference between the two and there is no reason to pass over a need for a 'better' player in that case. However if you have a guy listed at $20 and the next best is $15 even if he doesn't fit your team it is probably smart to grab him in most cases. At some point the value just becomes more important than the fit. The next thing you need to keep in mind that even in the best case scenario only like 80% of your stats are coming out of the draft, you are going to turn over part of your roster and you don't really know what stats will be available. If your league trades a lot you might turn over 40% or more of your stats. Finally you have to understand that every single league is different so it is hard to just list off some stats to target.

I'm a strong believer in drafting for a floor of stats with the core of your team and understand that the rest of your stats are pretty fungible. What that floor is will really depend on your league though. I'd keep in mind it is easier to find SB and SV during the season than it is the other stats.

I agree with pretty much all of this as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers