For those who wait on Pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For those who wait on Pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby West » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Damn... speaking of Anibal:

Anibal Sanchez felt some soreness behind his right shoulder after a throwing session Friday.
The Marlins are simply calling him day-to-day for now, but it's always a concern when a pitcher has an issue with his shoulder, especially when it's someone with a long injury history like Sanchez. The right-hander says he's not worried, though, and hopes to make his Grapefruit League debut next Friday. We'll keep an eye on his progress.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 pm

I feel like Ted Lilly and Brandon McCarthy are as safe as it gets given their obnoxiously low prices. I especially dont understand the lack of respect Ted Lilly gets.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2586
(Past Year: 432)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Derek Holland.
He stepped up a level in the 2nd half of 2011.
He throws hard, is pushing his K/9 towards the "ace level" of 8 (see August and Sept. 2011), gets a healthy serving of GBs.
Only Cliff Lee had more shut outs then Holland last year.

:-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11362
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:I feel like Ted Lilly and Brandon McCarthy are as safe as it gets given their obnoxiously low prices. I especially dont understand the lack of respect Ted Lilly gets.


Agreed. Lilly is being ridiculously undervalued.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14139
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby twistedude » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Like ayebatter, I'm also pretty pleased with how my "wait on pitching" strategy went in the 15 team cafeoholics masters league. I felt I got great values on all my SP's (the closers are a different story, but I was at the front end of a few major runs).

Ian Kennedy, ARI (7.2)
Ricky Romero, TOR (9.2)
Doug Fister, DET (13.2)
Justin Masterson, CLE (16.14)
Trevor Cahill, ARI (18.14)
Jose Valverde, DET (10.14)
Craig Kimbrel, ATL (6.14)

thoughts?
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2283
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby West » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:I feel like Ted Lilly and Brandon McCarthy are as safe as it gets given their obnoxiously low prices. I especially dont understand the lack of respect Ted Lilly gets.


Agreed. Lilly is being ridiculously undervalued.


It has to be his age (36). He's just not a sexy pick anymore. If guys like this fall enough where the injury risk doesn't bite you then the likes of Lilly, Carpenter, Vazquez, etc have loads of value.

twistedude wrote:Like ayebatter, I'm also pretty pleased with how my "wait on pitching" strategy went in the 15 team cafeoholics masters league. I felt I got great values on all my SP's (the closers are a different story, but I was at the front end of a few major runs).

P - Ian Kennedy, ARI (7.2)
P - Ricky Romero, TOR (9.2)
P - Doug Fister, DET (13.2)
P - Justin Masterson, CLE (16.14)
P - Trevor Cahill, ARI (18.14)
P - Jose Valverde, DET (10.14)
P - Craig Kimbrel, ATL (6.14)

thoughts?


I have to say, it looks like you just drafted a bunch of SP coming off career years. In my opinion everyone on that list sans Cahill will be facing ERA corrections in 2012. Nearly all of them outperformed their FIP and xERA in 2011. This looks like a strong team if it was 2011. Unfortunately, gravity and regression are the two strongest forces known to man (Shandler).
I don't mean to come off as too critical. In a 15 team league this is not a bad staff by any means. I expect Kennedy to have a solid year. Romero, Fister and Masterson should face some ERA regression. Judging by the fact that you drafted your first SP in the 7th you probably have a really solid offense.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 pm

The 13th-14th rds (pick 190ish-210ish) in the noobs draft just had the following drafted:
Chacin
Wandy
Feliz
Masterson
Sale
Worley
Holland
Bard
Norris
Danks - my #4 in a 16 team league
Hudson - injured but expected back early I think

I like several of these pitchers at this point and there are a few pitchers mentioned in this thread that i like but won't comment on...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5339
(Past Year: 171)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:36 am

What about a guy like Chad Billingsley?

I have seen him going late and I have been waiting for him to have that really big year.
I think targeting him towards rounds 18-20 is an awesome idea.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby ayebatter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 am

jlm53089 wrote:What about a guy like Chad Billingsley?

I have seen him going late and I have been waiting for him to have that really big year.
I think targeting him towards rounds 18-20 is an awesome idea.


I gotta tell ya, going to a Dodger game and watching Bills pitch will drive you crazy, seems like every count goes to 3-2, and all you're thinking is, "Bills your stuff looks great but if you go 3-2 again I'm gonna puke".
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12205
(Past Year: 1364)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: For those who wait on Pitching

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 pm

West wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:I feel like Ted Lilly and Brandon McCarthy are as safe as it gets given their obnoxiously low prices. I especially dont understand the lack of respect Ted Lilly gets.


Agreed. Lilly is being ridiculously undervalued.


It has to be his age (36). He's just not a sexy pick anymore. If guys like this fall enough where the injury risk doesn't bite you then the likes of Lilly, Carpenter, Vazquez, etc have loads of value.

At this point I'd prefer Lilly over Chris Carpenter, Carpenter gets taken quite a few rounds earlier. You just have to take full advantage of whats given to you. ;-D
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2586
(Past Year: 432)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Sep. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact