Drafting Upside vs. Drafting Safe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting Upside vs. Drafting Safe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Drafting Upside vs. Drafting Safe

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm

In a keeper league I'm more likely to draft upside because the payoff can be huge.
In either league I try to have a mix of steady performers and boom/bust type players. Rounds 1-5, I'm not taking too many chances. After that I have no problem picking risky players who I like.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fast dogs » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:05 pm

usually around midpoint of the draft the board becomes uninspiring and thats when I'm looking for upside. Let the draft tell you when its time
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

I play mostly Keeper, Dynasty leagues for I enjoy building a team and the goal there is build a team that can compute for many years and you can't draft safe for you end up with a team that is getting old and you become that team that likes the proven players and you become that team where I have a player and I think that player only enough value where I can only trade him in the next year for he going to have no value to a fantasy team a year after that and it's you that I'd want to trade with if you have something to give me. So you have to always chase the upside.

In a redraft league you start off safe for if you lose your 2nd rounder. It's hard to come back from but you take more risk later on to find that one guy that makes a deference for if your 20th round pick don't out you don't cure if you throw him away and maybe the guy you pickup will.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
Exactly this for me too. Keep it safe early, then starting around the 5-7 round range, I'll weigh upside vs floor. In the late rounds, I'm shooting for home runs every time.

I'll play it safe up until rd 10 and then take some upside guys. Usually rds 5-7 I draft my first two starters and I want solid ace-lites instead of pure upside. Overall I'm a value drafter. I won't ignore upside if it is falling.

I'm drafting guys like Bumgarner there, who I feel are undervalued, over guys like Strasburg, who I'm not drafting him in Round 5.

Very smart. Getting Bumgarner 2-3 rounds later is a beautiful thing.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers