Not very bold prediction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not very bold prediction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not very bold prediction

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 am

The Nationals finish under .500. Most overrated team in baseball going into this season. This is not anywhere near a playoff team.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Not very bold prediction

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 am

I disagree.
A couple of bounce-back seasons from Werth and LaRoche, more development from Espinosa and if the rotation is steady and doesn't commit hari-kari, they contend.

I put $50 on them about a month ago @ $31 to win it all, now they're paying $26.

The 2nd wildcard (announcement tomorrow) may benefit them as well
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 am

What is it you don't like about them?

The offense needs to have a couple guys bounceback but I don't think that's much of a stretch to expect some improvement there. Their starters are good and bullpen is solid. Not making the playoffs may not happen but I'd be surprised if they didn't at least win 82 games.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 am

I don't think they're over-rated. I haven't heard people talk about them like they're playoff favourites. I would bet on them being a .500 team but I doubt they'll have a shot at the playoffs because the Phillies are so dominant and the second place team in the Central will be tough to beat. If there's hype, it's probably because they have two of the biggest prospects in baseball in Strasburg and Harper, and have shown a willingness to toss around large amounts of cash.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

If we are talking about overrated teams in the NL East, I'll take the Marlins. I still don't think they have a shot at the playoffs even with 2 WC.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:14 am

Skin Blues wrote: If there's hype, it's probably because they have two of the biggest prospects in baseball in Strasburg and Harper, and have shown a willingness to toss around large amounts of cash.

I think it is abit more than just those two, although those are the biggest draws for the casual baseball fan.

Over-rating them would be saying they have a good shot at battling the Phillies for the division. It is a pretty bold prediction to think they are worse than they were last season when they replaced around 500 innings of Gorzelanny, Marquis, Wang, and spot starters with 500 innings from Strasburg, Gonzalez, and Jackson. The offense will just need to be around league average for them to have a decent shot at competing for a wild card. If Harper and or Rendon are ready to go by midseason they have a solid shot at being above league average offensively.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 am

No way, Ender. I just look at that pitching staff and i am confident they'll win 85 at least. Stras, Zimmerman and GHio and solid as hell and Lidge, Clippard and Storen should nail down many of those wins.

Bats be damned. The pitching will dictate a lot.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am

I haven't heard people talk about them like they're playoff favourites

They are the trendy playoff pick this year. Every year there is one and they almost never pan out. The rotation is decent but overrated, the offense isn't very good, the defense isn't very good. That division is going to be tough in general. They might make .500 but I'll eat my hat if they make the playoffs, if they break .500 it will be 1 or 2 games.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jorgesca » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Can't find a rotation I like better in the NL other than the Phillies'
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 pm

jorgesca wrote:Can't find a rotation I like better in the NL other than the Phillies'

Then you sure like their rotation a lot more than I do~. No way I'd take them over say the Brewers or the Giants or the Cardinals off the top of my head. Part of it is probably my low opinion of Edwin Jackson and Lannan though and the fact that at least 1 and most likely 2 of their starting 5 will go down with injuries since they have so many health risks.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers