Keeper Auction League - Trading "picks" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper Auction League - Trading "picks"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Auction League - Trading "picks"

Postby Talos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Does anyone have a system they use in a keeper auction to trade something in lieu of DP's for the following season? A standard draft keeper league can have an owner trade DP's for the next season to bolster their squad. With an auction league that's not possible, it's basically only players for players. I'm thinking of allowing trading auction dollars for the following season, but I'm afraid that might promote a "scorch the earth" mentality for someone trying to win this year and end up just leave after the season - the new owner comes into a team with no $ for the upcoming draft.

I've thought about maybe adding caps but I'm starting to think I might be opening pandora's box here, just let sleeping dogs lie.

Thoughts?
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Auction League - Trading "picks"

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Talos wrote:Does anyone have a system they use in a keeper auction to trade something in lieu of DP's for the following season? A standard draft keeper league can have an owner trade DP's for the next season to bolster their squad. With an auction league that's not possible, it's basically only players for players. I'm thinking of allowing trading auction dollars for the following season, but I'm afraid that might promote a "scorch the earth" mentality for someone trying to win this year and end up just leave after the season - the new owner comes into a team with no $ for the upcoming draft.

I've thought about maybe adding caps but I'm starting to think I might be opening pandora's box here, just let sleeping dogs lie.

Thoughts?

This all seems pretty analogous to a keeper league with a standard draft. In that case you worry about an owner absorbing tons of expensive players they can't protect and bailing after the year. And in my keeper league I've mitigated that risk by incorporating an in-season salary cap. I imagine the corollary would be to say, "You can trade auction dollars, but every team must retain at least $X for the following year's auction.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Merlin401 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:26 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Talos wrote:Does anyone have a system they use in a keeper auction to trade something in lieu of DP's for the following season? A standard draft keeper league can have an owner trade DP's for the next season to bolster their squad. With an auction league that's not possible, it's basically only players for players. I'm thinking of allowing trading auction dollars for the following season, but I'm afraid that might promote a "scorch the earth" mentality for someone trying to win this year and end up just leave after the season - the new owner comes into a team with no $ for the upcoming draft.

Thoughts?

This all seems pretty analogous to a keeper league with a standard draft. In that case you worry about an owner absorbing tons of expensive players they can't protect and bailing after the year. And in my keeper league I've mitigated that risk by incorporating an in-season salary cap. I imagine the corollary would be to say, "You can trade auction dollars, but every team must retain at least $X for the following year's auction.

You can trade raw resources from the future (like draft dollars) if you pay next year's dues (or half) in advance.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Talos » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Merlin401 wrote:

You can trade raw resources from the future (like draft dollars) if you pay next year's dues (or half) in advance.

Next years dues is a great idea
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Goatrider » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Just a thought on next year dues. It's a good one. But if it is not implemented across the board, you will bias the league toward real life rich guys. If half the teams can afford the extra hundo up front and the other half can't, that's a problem.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby bigmck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm

That is why it is best to not be able to trade "Next Years Money".
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby gws226 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:49 pm

We have a cap on how much can be traded for the folllowing year to limit damages done if an owner bails. Just enough to make it worthwhile to consider doing it, without shooting yourself in the foot the following year. Thusfar it was worked really well.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner