Rank Prospect Bats please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Rank Prospect Bats please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank Prospect Bats please

Postby KempCamp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:28 am

Hey guys could you rank these prospect bats? And if you could pair two of them to stash on your bench for any length who would it be? Standard Scoring. Thanks y'all. WHIR

Bubba Starling
Anthony Rendon
Miguel Sano
Nolan Arenando
Yoenis Cepedes
Christian Yelich
Travis D'Arnaud

Thats basically my ranking for them, trying to consider ETA and upside together the best that I can.

I guess if I had to choose two to package together for the future Id go Starling and Rendon but am trying to find the courage to package Starling and Sano together. Please let me know any of your opinions if you have em. Thanks again. WHIR
KempCamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank Prospect Bats please

Postby KempCamp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am

shutout bump
KempCamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:51 am

Nolan Arenado
Yoenis Cepedes
Anthony Rendon
Travis D'Arnaud
Miguel Sano
Christian Yelich

Arenado - he's got MVP upside, plays at least a competent 3B, and has had more extra-base hits than strikeouts in the last two seasons.

Cespedes - pretty much just a guess, but as someone who can be an elite player right away, you can't overlook him. Carries a lot of risk.

Rendon - Won't need long in the minors. Has an incredibly sweet swing. Could have four plus tools.

D'Arnaud - Could hit in the middle of the order with strong Runs/RBI and 25+ HR annually - from the C position. Basically could hit like a high-tier 1B from the C spot.

Sano - Just amazing power potential here. He'll lose value as he inevitably slides down the defensive spectrum, but his star-level hitting skills will play anywhere.

Yelich - Could be very good and has a great swing, 20/20 upside but he's a notch below the others on this list.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby KempCamp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:13 am

Thanks for the help. I liked your points. I did notice that you left Starling off your list tho. Do you jus not consider him on the level of the other players cuz he's so far away from the bigs and his risk? Or did ya jus forget him? I actually like him and his ceiling possibly 1st on the list. Your points were awesome tho, thanks

lane_anasazi2 wrote:Nolan Arenado
Yoenis Cepedes
Anthony Rendon
Travis D'Arnaud
Miguel Sano
Christian Yelich

Arenado - he's got MVP upside, plays at least a competent 3B, and has had more extra-base hits than strikeouts in the last two seasons.

Cespedes - pretty much just a guess, but as someone who can be an elite player right away, you can't overlook him. Carries a lot of risk.

Rendon - Won't need long in the minors. Has an incredibly sweet swing. Could have four plus tools.

D'Arnaud - Could hit in the middle of the order with strong Runs/RBI and 25+ HR annually - from the C position. Basically could hit like a high-tier 1B from the C spot.

Sano - Just amazing power potential here. He'll lose value as he inevitably slides down the defensive spectrum, but his star-level hitting skills will play anywhere.

Yelich - Could be very good and has a great swing, 20/20 upside but he's a notch below the others on this list.
KempCamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:41 am

Hah, whoops. Forgot Starling. I think you're over-valuing him. Yes, he has a lot of talent. He's also incredibly raw and completely unproven. He's also a little older than your typical high school draftee - for example he's well over a year older than Francisco Lindor, which seems like a small thing but actually matters a lot when you talk about the development curve and age relative to league. Let's be clear, he has elite, Matt Kemp-level upside. But his career could take many paths, including the Delmon Young one where his massive tools never really transition into production.

I'd stick him last on this list, but you could make a compelling argument to put him as high as 4th depending on what you value. But this is a group of elite prospects and I'd put them all in the top 50 overall. I would be happy to carry any of them on my prospect roster, including Starling.

I agree with you that if you want to rank purely based on ceiling you'd put Starling 1st. However the ultimate ceiling of those other guys - particularly Rendon, Arenado and Sano - are very close to Starling's, and Starling just carries so much more risk. Arenado and Sano have done amazing things already against professional competition, and Rendon is a) a college hitter, and b) an incredibly polished college hitter.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 am

I really like 4 of them about the same, so my 1-4 is tough.

Rendon
Sano
Arenado
Starling

Cespedes imo is overrated, compared to these 4.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 am

I would stash Cespedes because he has the best chance of helping you this year.
It also would help to know your team needs as well.

Anthony Rendon or Miguel Sano would be my other choice. Both are 3b and both are incredible talents that might get a chance should an injury befall any of the players blocking him. FWIW, Zimm has no problem with moving across the diamond to play 1b to accommodate for Rendon.

I think Rendon had most value as 2b but they are using him at 3b for some reason. Can you post your roster?

Arenado certainly has all the tools also.

With Mesoraco, Betancourt, and other elite catching prospects out there, I would pass on D'Arnaud. Starling is too far away to warrant stashing. Yelich is a dime-a-dozen type of prospect. he can easily be replaced.

Cespedes is one of my choices even though he probably doesn't match the upside of anyone on this list. He will immediately battle for a starting job and might even make the A's club with a good Spring. Gotta like taking a chance on a player that can potentially help you right away. If he doesn't one of htese top prospects SHOULD be available for you to stash later.

Post your roster though.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3662)

Postby KempCamp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Wow, thanks for the awesome in depth replies guys. Ill definetely be seeking your guys posts out and responding to them when I come to the cafe. Really appreciate it. Heres my roster and my current situation really, I get two of these guys for sure since I have the 2nd and 3rd picks in the first rd in the upcoming 11 rnd dynasty draft (yu is going first). keep 25 out of 36 in a weekly 12tm standard h2h 5x5 lge. So with the two picks early and then also having my original 7th pick in the first round, I wanted to pair my favorite two bats then grab whoever slips to 7 or take a prospect arm at 7. Thats why Im actually leaning high ceiling Starling and polished Rendon at 2 & 3 then hoping sano or arenado slip to 7 and jus load up by grabbing one of them. And worry bout prospect arm in the 2nd rd (no 3rd or 4th rd picks due to trades). Im also tempted to go Rendon/Sano or even Starling/Sano or Rendon/Arenado lmao so your guys help is so awesome, cuz i need it lol. WHIR for sure!

Keeper Roster:
c-arencibia
1b-votto
2b-pedroia
3b-youk
ss-jeter
mi-espinosa
ci-valencia
of-kemp
of-cyoung
of-rasmus
of-tabata
dh-boesch
be-cozart, viciedo, chisenhall, machado

p-verlander
p-t hanson
p-morrow
p-zimmerman
p-scherzer
p-baker
p-motte
p-
be- kuroda, taillon

(i could also keep casey kelly, homer bailey or brandon league over kuroda but figured id need some pitchin help w kuroda lol)
KempCamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 pm

League over Kuroda
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:34 pm

brandon league over kuroda get a closer over a back end starter easily replaceable.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3662)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions