Help with Keepers WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help with Keepers WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with Keepers WHIR

Postby Darth Danielus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 pm

That time again -- 10 team yahoo roto keeper....we get to keep 3 batters for as long as we want (franchise), and 2 for just the coming season, and 3 pitchers for as long as we want, and 2 for just the coming season.
Cats are: runs, HR, rbi, sb, avg. and ops. -- wins, saves, Ks, era, whip and QS.

The hitters I'm considering:
A gonz
j bruce
arod
utley
morse
mcutchen
hosmer
konerko

Pitchers:
cain
sabathia
hamels
kimbrel
valverde
guerra

I know agonz and mcutchen will be franchised...probably with bruce in the 3rd spot. Probably gonna go with 2 from the arod, morse and utley group for just next year. Pitchers seem easier -- sabathia, cain, hamels and then probably kimbrel and valverde.

Thoughts? Is it worth possibly franchising kimbrel over the 3 starters? Saves get horded like crazy in our league. also should probably mention my main goal is competing this year, with slightly less of a focus on next year and beyond.

Any help appreciated --- and I'll help in return if I can.
Last edited by Darth Danielus on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with Keepers WHIR

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Darth Danielus wrote:That time again -- 10 team yahoo roto keeper....we get to keep 3 batters for as long as we want (franchise), and 2 for just the coming season, and 3 pitchers for as long as we want, and 2 for just the coming season.
Cats are: runs, HR, rbi, sb, avg. and ops. -- wins, saves, Ks, era, whip and QS.

A gonz ;-D ;-D
j bruce ;-D
arod
utley
morse ;-D
mcutchen ;-D ;-D
hosmer ;-D ;-D
konerko

Pitchers:
cain ;-D ;-D
sabathia ;-D ;-D
hamels ;-D ;-D
kimbrel ;-D
valverde ;-D
guerra

I know agonz and mcutchen will be franchised...probably with bruce in the 3rd spot. Probably gonna go with 2 from the arod, morse and utley group for just next year. Pitchers seem easier -- sabathia, cain, hamels and then probably kimbrel and valverde.

Thoughts? Is it worth possibly franchising kimbrel over the 3 starters? Saves get horded like crazy in our league. also should probably mention my main goal is competing this year, with slightly less of a focus on next year.

;-D ;-D = Franchise
;-D = Keeper
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Darth Danielus wrote:That time again -- 10 team yahoo roto keeper....we get to keep 3 batters for as long as we want (franchise), and 2 for just the coming season, and 3 pitchers for as long as we want, and 2 for just the coming season.

A gonz ;-D ;-D
j bruce ;-D
arod
utley
morse ;-D
mcutchen ;-D ;-D
hosmer ;-D ;-D
konerko

Pitchers:
cain ;-D ;-D
sabathia ;-D ;-D
hamels ;-D ;-D
kimbrel ;-D
valverde ;-D
guerra

Thoughts? Is it worth possibly franchising kimbrel over the 3 starters? Saves get horded like crazy in our league. also should probably mention my main goal is competing this year, with slightly less of a focus on next year.

;-D ;-D = Franchise
;-D = Keeper

Can't argue with this.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby redn22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for the help... After looking at what bighort selected, I too can't argue with that... the ones he didn't select are players past their prime. Good luck!
redn22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Darth Danielus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm

You guys think hosmer will be good enough this season to justify keep 2 1B? I like him too -- just figure it will be easier to draft him, or another big 1B bat later, then it will be to get any kind of decent 3b or 2b. That said -- utley and arod may not even be that anymore. If it came down to it, which of those 2 do you like (arod and utley.)

Thanks for the help.
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 pm

h0rt nailed it. hosmer is a definite keep.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

the 3 franchise players have to be Gonzalez, Hosmer, and McCutchen.
then you need 2 for just 2012 between Arod, Bruce, Morse, Utley, Konerko.
look at who gets eliminated. at this point Utley and Arod look like injury risks, so they're out. Konerko could be good, but you're already covered at 1B with Gonzalez and Hosmer. that would leave Morse and Bruce, who I think are more likely to have better numbers in 2012 than the other 3.
if you're not sure about franchising 2 1B you would be better to use one of them in a trade to get a franchise player at another position, rather than keeping Arod or Utley even for just 2012.

as good as Kimbrel is I can't see franchising him over Sabathia, Hamels, Cain. but Kimbrel and Valverde are for sure keepers over Guerra.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Darth Danielus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm

I have all the respect in the world for the posters on here, for the most part... And appreciate the help for sure...

I just sorta feel like in my league, many people have 1b already - is hosmer gonna be so good that he justifies locking up my utility spot so early (for example, I grabbed konerko pretty late last year for that purpose.) I sorta think I could still get hosmer later.... Anyways - thats all beside the point --- do you guys think utley and arod have fallen so far that its not even worth considering keeping them? Just take my chances that I'd be able to fill 3b and 2b later (it looks like 3B will be reasonably deep in our draft.)

The other thing I don't necessarly see --- keeping bruce for just one year - unless I can find someone to take hosmer in a deal (which will be tough with so many firstbasemen around) or hosmer is so good so soon that I can dangle agonz in a trade -- I think franchising 2 1B might come back to bite me. Tough call for sure ---- you guys have definitely solidified my opinion that morse is more valuable for this year then arod or utley. I gotta think either I franchise hosmer, or let him go -- keeping him for just 1 year makes little sense.

I'm in complete agreement about the pitchers -- just wondering if anyone out there thought kimbrel was so good as to be worth considering as a franchiser. Was leaning against it.

Thanks again for all the help.
Darth Danielus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KempCamp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 am

id franchise agonz, mccutch, hosmer and keep bruce and prolly arod in the last spot but could live w morse or utley there. I franchise Hamels, Cain and CC with Kimbrel and Valverde bein the 2. I would also be tempted to franchise kimbrel over cc or cain but thats tough. Can you change him to a franchise tag next year?

viewtopic.php?t=440189

A gonz
j bruce
arod
utley
morse
mcutchen
hosmer
konerko

Pitchers:
cain
sabathia
hamels
kimbrel
valverde
guerra

Thoughts? Is it worth possibly franchising kimbrel over the 3 starters? Saves get horded like crazy in our league. also should probably mention my main goal is competing this year, with slightly less of a focus on next year and beyond.

KempCamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Seanyfever » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

Hort has is right.... I really see no other options.

Help out a Cafe Brother
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=440191
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions