What to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do?

Postby miracles716 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Commissioner of 15 team league and this trade was passed: Jonny Venters for Bryce Harper, no one had a problem with the trade until it was passed when a single owner complained that the deal was blatently unfair, i decided to conduct a poll on it and by a 5-4 vote on veto so now what do i do? allow the other owners to speak up or allow the trade to stand?
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do?

Postby mkultra » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 pm

You need to clarify the veto rules in your league, preferably in a constitution. If you search for "veto" in this forum you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic.

For this situation, though, I'm guessing there is no standard in place and you're in a pickle. What do the rules of your league say? Barring anything else, that would be the standard I'd follow RIGHT NOW, because a "Only Commissioner can veto trades" setting in your league is a concrete thing you can point to.

(btw, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that trade- I think Venters will have the better year, but last I checked no one can predict the future)
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby miracles716 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 pm

this is a keeper league so harper could easily have a HOF career.
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 57)

Postby mkultra » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Well, three points:

- You think Harper could have a HOF career. But you don't know. All you have to go on right now is his pedigree. He's also unlikely to see significant major-league playing time in 2012 because the Angels outfield is so crowded.
- That said, people trade top current talent for future prospects all the time in keeper leagues.
- Your opinion ultimately doesn't matter. Who are you, or anyone else, to second guess two owners' opinions of worth? What matters is the written rules of your league.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigmck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm

miracles716 wrote:this is a keeper league so harper could easily have a HOF career.

You can't veto a trade by thinking what a player might do in the future. He is unproven. The trade should stand and you need to specify to your league what your Veto rules are and follow them.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby bignasty022 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Trade should stand
bignasty022
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Goatrider » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Well man, if I read that correctly, you put yourself in a pickle by putting it up to vote. It was 5-4 FOR veto, correct? So your choices are to let a theoretically fair trade be vetoed or let it stand and go against a league vote.

I would take the opportunity to go back to your owners to constitutionally establish veto rules. Just tell your guys" sorry, I got in a hurry, but this situation will come up again so let's decide the rules now." By opening that discussion, you may be lucky enough to find a solution to the current situation.

Otherwise, it was voted on and you have to veto it. Unless voted on veto meant NO veto :)
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 20)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm

trade stands. no way do you retroactively go back and undo a trade. i'm not a fan of vetoes even if the trade hadn't gone through already.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jaywrong » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Sounds like the league just has sour grapes because they didn't land Harper.
jaywrong
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:20 pm

I think you have to let the trade stand. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. If this is a serious league, you need to have a constitution, and probably right under dues, should be veto rules.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner