McCutchen for Stanton or Lawrie? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

McCutchen for Stanton or Lawrie?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McCutchen for Stanton or Lawrie?

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 am

Standard 5x5 12-team mixed league

I have McCutchen @ $23 this year. However due to contract requirements I will also need to sign JJ Hardy @ $7 this year and $12 next as well as Aramis Ramirez @ $14 this year and $19 next. I am thinking of trading McCutchen (who is optional for me to sign and doesn't fulfill and contract requirements) for someone I can sign for 2 yrs (or is already in a 2yr contract).

Guys I am looking at are Brett Lawrie (would sign him @$10 this year, $15 next) or Mike Stanton (already signed @$15 this year, option of $23 next). Tentatively I can get Lawrie straight up for Cutch, or I'm also looking into Stanton for Cutch & Aramis.

If I got Lawrie, I would then only need to sign one of either Hardy or Aramis for 2 yrs. If I got Stanton, I would need to sign Hardy for 2yrs.

What are your thoughts on this one? Do I try hang on to what I have, or try to make a deal, and if so, which guy do I go after?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: McCutchen for Stanton or Lawrie?

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:58 am

A lot to take in here...

I really like McCutchen at his cost. I'm not a huge fan of JJ Hardy at those prices. I think Aramis Ramirez is good for 2012, but not 2013.

For the Lawrie deal-

Assuming you keep Hardy, Lawrie + Hardy for $17 in 2012 is not as good as McCutchen at $23 (production or value wise). In 2013, the prices of your player go up to $27 collectively. The price on Lawrie for 2013 is okay, but you would be paying too much for Hardy at $12. The only upside of this trade is if Lawrie has an outstanding season and becomes a top 3B.

Assuming you keep Aramis, Lawrie + Aramis for $24 would be comparable to McCutchen at $23 in 2012 (both production and value wise). But then in 2013, the collective cost goes up to $34, which is too much to pay IMO. Plus, you would be with a pair of 3B, clogging your DH spot (unless you have extra positions). This situation could work out in 2012, but could blow up in your face in 2013.

I'd pass on the Lawrie deal.

As for the Stanton deal-

I think giving up McCutchen + Aramis for Stanton is a big win in the value department, but a loss in the production department. However, you would gain Stanton for an extra year at a great cost AND rid yourself of the Aramis Ramirez 2013 contract. You would have to sign Hardy, which isn't great, but works out better for you in 2013. I would probably accept this deal since you get Stanton for an extra year compared to McCutchen, plus you lose the bad Ramirez contract.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 am

I like McCutchen for this year, you're stuck with Hardy in all 3 cases, I like Aramis for this year, in either of the 2 trades presented I think you give up value for this year, I'd keep what I have for now, and worry about moving McCutchen later on.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1447)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:I think giving up McCutchen + Aramis for Stanton is a big win in the value department, but a loss in the production department. However, you would gain Stanton for an extra year at a great cost AND rid yourself of the Aramis Ramirez 2013 contract. You would have to sign Hardy, which isn't great, but works out better for you in 2013. I would probably accept this deal since you get Stanton for an extra year compared to McCutchen, plus you lose the bad Ramirez contract.

I think this is what I would do. I don't mind the other deal for Lawrie as it gets you Hardy off the books but I think Stanton is the better value here.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 394)

Postby Element » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Urban Cohorts wrote:I think giving up McCutchen + Aramis for Stanton is a big win in the value department, but a loss in the production department. However, you would gain Stanton for an extra year at a great cost AND rid yourself of the Aramis Ramirez 2013 contract. You would have to sign Hardy, which isn't great, but works out better for you in 2013. I would probably accept this deal since you get Stanton for an extra year compared to McCutchen, plus you lose the bad Ramirez contract.

I think this is what I would do. I don't mind the other deal for Lawrie as it gets you Hardy off the books but I think Stanton is the better value here.

;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 801)

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 am

I also have Victorino on my team who I can keep for $23. I wasn't planning to keep him if I had Cutch, but if I am able to do the deal him for Stanton do you think I should keep Vic @ $23? I might be able to save a couple bucks if I let him go to auction but this would give me peace of mind.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Seanyfever » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 am

i AM DEFEINITELY HIGHER ON THE STANTON SIDE.

Help out a Cafe Brother
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=440191
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 253)

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

Do the Stanton deal pass on the other.