Mussina for Mabry? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mussina for Mabry?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mussina for Mabry?

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Fri May 24, 2002 7:53 pm

Wouldn't that be nice?

So, I'm still looking for outfield hitting because my hitting statistics are awful. Although yesterday was a good day for me (14 RBI's...and no, I don't own Sean Green), my numbers still need some help. My outfield consists of Dye, Carlos Lee, and Eric Owens. Not exactly tearing it up. However, in exchange for my outfield shaft in the draft, I did manage to get a stellar pitching staff. Mussina, Colon, Buerhle, Beckett, Halladay<---I'm really high on this guy, and Reuter<---I think he's underrated.

So I offered a guy this trade:

I give Mussina and Carlos Lee
I get L. Walker and John Burkett

I thought there was a slim chance he would bite seeing as his WHIP and K's are awful. He didn't. Here's his counterproposal:

I give Mussina and Byung-yung
I get L.Walker and John Burkett

I don't think this trade works for me because I don't want to give up Kim. Instead, I was considering offering Percival instead of Kim. My question is how many saves usually work well for the team. If I gave up Percival, I'd have Benitez and Kim which would be approximately 80 saves, right? Does this add up in the end? I was wondering before I even offered someone a closer in a trade.
Also, am I underselling Mussina? Should I try just Mussina for Walker?
Also, what if to that trade I got one of his closers? (he wants to monopolize the saves category-he already has 4 closers)
His closers are Yan, Jimenez, Hoffman, and Alfonseca

Would something like this make more sense?

Give: Mussina and Kim
Get: Walker, Burkett, and one of the four aforementioned.

If so, which one would be wisest?

What do you think guys? I really need to make a move soon to get back in the mix...I'm really lagging behind.
Thanks,
Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sat May 25, 2002 6:09 pm

How many teams are in your league? Are any teams dumping the saves category?

Mussina and Kim does seem like a bit much to give for Walker, but if you receive a closer in return, it would look much better for you. I'd rank Hoffman at the top of those four, and then, somewhat reluctantly, Alfonseca, Jimenez and Yan.

In principle, however, I don't feel you should have to pad an offer of Moose for Walker, especially considering Walker's injury history. If this deal stalls, I'm sure you'll be able to deal Mussina for another premiere of.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Sun May 26, 2002 4:20 am

There are twelve teams in my league.

One person is completely punting the saves category. Another person only has five saves.

Currently, I rank 5th in saves with 20. However, the 2,3,and 4 are all tied with 22 saves.

Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Postby Arlo » Sun May 26, 2002 7:55 am

With 12 teams and one punter (ok, one and a half), 22 saves seems pretty low for second place. Are you using daily or weekly lineup changes?

Anyway, with these numbers and such a tight race, I wouldn't even consider the trade offer involving Kim unless you received another equivalent closer in return. Instead of going down to just Percival/Benitez, certainly an excellent combo, I'd be on the lookout for another closer, possibly someone like Leskanic.

A total of 80 saves by season's end will most likely leave you in the middle of the pack. I'd aim for somewhere around 100-110 or more. After all, if you should decide you need help elsewhere more urgently, trading a solid closer shouldn't be a problem.

I realize that I tend to be biased toward relievers, but in this case, it's not just my own preferences talking. Kim will give you relatively easy points (not to mention solid peripheral numbers) - three extra points in saves would be a great step in the right direction and get you back in the mix.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Mussina for Walker

Postby Soda777 » Mon May 27, 2002 1:12 pm

Keep Mussina. Walker is one of the best hitters when healthy, but he has averaged just over 120 games per season. Even in that limited time he can put up very good numbers; however, Mussina is a top ten pitcher and hardly ever gets hurt.

With Walker's history of injury I think I would keep what I have or look elsewhere.
Soda777

Return to Baseball Leftovers